Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not So Waterproof Waterproofs!

Just wondering if anyone is having the same issues with keeping dry...or our children just a little extreme in their explorations!!

We have Muddypuddles waterproofs...the higher spec ones, not the lightweight ones and they just don't seem to keep the children dry.

We don't wash in powder etc, just rinse off as recommended by a forest school

I guess in general play during a light shower they are fine but our children are loving exploring puddles, mud etc...to the nth degree some days!!

I suppose everything has their limits - any tips on how you still allow exploration but maintain a degree of comfort...and not push parents over the edge with continual dirty clothes!!

there is fabulous learning coming form all of this!

We have some cheaper sets - they have been in use for about 4 years though so not too bad - but yes have issues with this - we find that water still gets in up the elasticated sleeves all the time, gets in between the velcro / zip front and during mud play they are impossible to get off without mud still getting on clothes.

REALLY frustrating...

apart from all this they are such an effort to put on. children get totally frustrated with the trousers especially - wellies first is a squeeze, but then wellies 2nd means socks get wet / muddy still....and staff spend all their time either helping to put them on or trying to take them off without getting mud from the wellies and legs everywhere - usually about 2 minutes after theyve been put on. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ahhh yes, recognise all of that too! Makes me feel a little better Trekker, thanks.

we'll be millionaires thenif we can get this sussed!

hehehe - I think there is no way we can keep the wee ones watertight no matter what quality of waterproofs we may be using - the mud and rain will somehow creep in. At the moment we are having to change our children when they come in as it is so wet and sooooo muddy out there. This is depleting our stock of spare clothes heavily so last week we sent a letter home explaining to the parents that we are having a wonderful time outdoors and like gingerbreadman said explained also about the fabulous learning that is going on- but could they pretty please with sugar on the top send in spare clothes on their woodland day. They have been very good so far... let's hope it continues!

Our Rainbow dungarees are very good quality, the only problem we have is that water will sometimes still get in over the wellies sometimes. We tuck children's trousers in their boots and the dungarees go over the top of the wellies and are secured with an elasticated stirrup - if they are determined ie jumping or sitting in deep puddles then there's not much that we can really do.

They did a fantastic job today in the dinosaur swamp, dungarees, jackets and faces covered in mud but no leakage.

We have put photos on our display in the foyer of children playing in snow, rain, mud and even (rarely) sunshine. Interesting to hear lots of comments about 'ooh look, they go outside in all weathers!', wheh we've told them so many time!

I suggested a 'best dressed child of the week' feature - starting with the one in head to toe shocking pink waterproofs!!

• Like 1

I need to get some waterproof sets for children who don't come dressed appropriately. I have several parents who really don't like them getting dirty (and a couple who STILL say 'I assume you won't be going outside today as it's raining....). I am thinking of buying a few sets (can't afford more and concerned about where we will store and dry them etc) and also giving parents a link to where they can buy them too.

Any specific websites/brands please? I know nothing is inpenetrable but don't want stuff that's useless if possible :)

Hi,

we have spare wellies, trousers & jackets for wet weather - but it takes forever to get the children ready... how many people just let them go in wellies & coats then change them after they've got soaked?

Also how do you deal with issues of members of the team having the attitude of "oh, its started to rain, should we come in now...?" We tell the parents we are out in all weathers, and yet some of the staff don't follow this ethos...

our children only wear wellies and waterproof coats ...we don't need to change them often but the garden doesn't have many puddles. I am seriously considering bying some waterproofs and 'renting' them to parents for the year to keep costs down...has anyone done this and how long do the waterproof suits last?

Hi,

we have spare wellies, trousers & jackets for wet weather - but it takes forever to get the children ready... how many people just let them go in wellies & coats then change them after they've got soaked?

Also how do you deal with issues of members of the team having the attitude of "oh, its started to rain, should we come in now...?" We tell the parents we are out in all weathers, and yet some of the staff don't follow this ethos...

Ha ha how about wellies and brollies for the staff!! Yes we just go with the wellies and coats plus a few brollys for those in their 'best furry jackets'!! Kitting 26 kiddies up for wet weather is soooo time consuming, but then again so is changing them afterwards ( ours bring a bag with spare clothes). roll on the summer eh? : )

Ours arrive in wellies and waterproofs and change afterwards... it's working wonders for their self help skills :D

• 5 weeks later...

You tell your staff - all of them, whatever their level - that your outdoor policy is non-negotiable and that, if they are unwilling to go out with the children in all weather conditions, they have your permission to look for another job!

As we don't keep adult waterproofs (lack of storage space) we keep a supply of umbrellas - and any new staff who stand around shivering under these, or hands in pockets in the snow, are told in no uncertain terms to get playing with the children and stop being wimps, or they will be on wet/cold weather duty for the rest of the month!

Show them who is the boss, whether you are a Team Leader or a Manager - and set an example by getting out (and wet) yourself - and don't give them an inch!

Our children enjoy wet weather so much that most don't want to come indoors for their snack etc, but it does sometimes depend on how enthusiastic individual staff members are on how long the children stay outdoors

Does fascinate me how I can go outdoors at 9 am and still be there 2.5 hrs later rain, snow or shine and am on my feet and busy the whole time while others when 'encouraged' to go outside, sit around 'watching' children, looking thouroughly bored or uncomfortable - often find all manner of excuses to have to come back in 10 mins later (including 'all' the children 'wanting' to come back in, at the same time, because they were cold - hmm really???...or need to change someone, need to get some tissues, X's toy...etc etc) , then shut the door behind them and convienently 'forget' to venture back out or find they are suddenly much too busy / engaged to be able to... :huh: :blink: :angry:

I often make a point of opening the door again and miraculously have a trail of children all grabbing coats to join me...."oh look - they do want to play out" - so staff X finds themselves back out again! ^_^

So frustrating though that no matter how many times and how forcefully, Ive stated what I want to see - staff still resist.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)