Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do The Committee Discuss A Committee Member Making A Complaint?

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

we have a sticky problem. One of my committee members would like to make a complaint regarding his child's care.

He has stated he'd be happy to go to Ofsted, so it needs the committee to discuss and think on it, however it's a committee member who is making the complaint so....

How do we hold a meeting - is it reasonable for us to hold a meeting without inviting this committee member?

Any thoughts please,

Spiral :-)

I think the complaint should be dealt with in the exact same way as any other parental complaint would be according to your policy.

I think it also depends on the seriousness of the complaint - can you give us a bit more info?

If the complaint does meed to be brought before the committee this parent should not be present at the meeting

I am also surprised that he would be hapy to go to OFSTED - I would want to keep as far away from them as is possible!

Agree.. follow your procedure, as committee are dealing with it, they have to be treated as a parent not a committee member and not present at any discussions and decisions..

they should only report it further if the result is not to their satisfaction and they feel the need to. as any other parent would..

I agree with all of the above - it would be 'a conflict of interest' if the parent attended the committee meeting so you can use that as a reason for not inviting them - or at least ask them to leave at the time you are going to discuss the situation. Good luck x

I'd make sure the complaint is in writing too, and a copy of your policies and procedures available. I was going to attach a copy of our complaints policy, its from the PLA, so you might already have it, but I have no idea how to do it now, ours doesnt mention the case going to the full committee.

The playleader and chair are mostly involved with the parent with another person coming in as mediator if it gets that far and of course they can take the complaint to Ofsted at any time. Hope it all goes ok and dont forget to write everything down :1b