Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Profile To "predict" Nc Levels

:o This may have been covered before, but I was chatting to my Y1 colleague and she is having trouble with the Profile scores I sent up to her. We use software called Target Tracker and it's great except that it converts profile points to NC levels and makes predictions for Y1, Y2 etc. and I really have an issue with this. It's being used like an old baseline. The problem is that some of my children are predicted things like 2c in Y1 and they won't achieve that. I keep pushing for a baseline to be set at the start of Y1 against NC levels, which would be far more accurate. Anyone else facing similar issues? It's causing a lot of stress right now!

heyjude xD

We have to predict KS1 SATs results in reading, writing and maths, but I don't use the profile scores - I go on overall knowledge of the child and their attitude and rate of progress etc.

nice one Catma.yes heyjude we have this night mare too. In a long fought for compromise we are continuing witht eh profile in eyar one at least for the first term, so children will be assessed against them if they have not achived (we have lost of 4s and 5s in reading for example this year).They will then move on the assessing against NC levels later in the year and introuduce p levels when necessary by easter.

the profile was never intended to be used to make predictions but sadly in the climate we have, they are now expected to be by lots of people. Im sure once there has been a comlete cohort of children going through profile and KS1 SATs, then the powers that be will give us what they see as suitable predictions (not that Im cynical or anything).

The Standards site says that they should not be used as a comparison until further research has taken place.

here

Our assessment co-ord loves to make comparisons, and is forever making tables!! He has analysed our own school's data from this year's Y2 SATS and their profile scores, he has worked out how many points equates to which level and used this to predict results of future cohorts.

I have better things to do in my spare time!!

uum, would have thought you needed more than one years results to do that with??? Especially as the first year was treated as a pilot by lots of LEAs and not subjected to the moderation that has taken place since?

Thanks everyone. I've copied the stuff off the Standards Site and emailed it to my Head so he can see I'm not making it all up!

Are there any guidelines anywhere about using FSCurriculum in Y1?

Thanks again. Now to enjoy a break!!!

heyjude :D

Magenta - your assessment coordinator sounds just like mine!!! - forever trying to create 'business type' documents that look like they belong on the shelf of a large corporation!!! They then go on to explain about what the data means which many teachers said they knew anyway.

• 2 months later...

I read somewhere that NFER study re: prediction from FSP to KS1 which said it was only 36% accurate. So my advise would be don't. Children are not that predictable!

Lisa

Hi Smiley

I have been looking on the qca website for

Continuing the learning journey: training package" QCA/05/1590 Can you help? We don't seem to have a copy at school.

Thanks

OH xD ! I have made a mistake! The link I sent was for "Seeing steps in children's learning: DVD and practitioners guide". This is more for the FS it self. I have also been looking around to find the old link I had for the "Continuing the learning journey: training package" (QCA/05/1590), yet I can't find it :o . This is the only thing I find http://www.qca.org.uk/6795_14005.html and I don't understand what "Tbc"stands for under "Price". I don't know if it is temporary out of stock or what.

is the learning jouney stuff any good? Ive been asked (told ) to deliver INSET using it but just havent had time to look at it. Anyone used it for this yet?

39862[/snapback]

Yes, it's brilliant - particularly for showing non FS people what we're all about :D

OH  xD !  I have made a mistake!  The link I sent was for "Seeing steps in children's learning: DVD and practitioners guide".  This is more for the FS it self.  I have also been looking around to find the old link I had for the "Continuing the learning journey: training package" (QCA/05/1590), yet I can't find it :o .  This is the only thing I find http://www.qca.org.uk/6795_14005.html and I don't understand what "Tbc"stands for under "Price".  I don't know if it is temporary out of stock or what.

39912[/snapback]

I'm not sure that the practitioners' guide is available in hard copy (it certainly wasn't in July) unless you download it yourself.

PS. The tbc probably means "to be confirmed"?

scarily my Assessment co-ordinator has just returned from a twilight where she was told that level 9 writing in FSP equates to a child preforming at level 2C/ 2B!!!

Just had a writing moderating meeting with the primary school next door to ours. They are having the same issues about the direct transfer of FSP points into NC levels electronically. It throws up major problems for the Y1 teacher who struggles to get value added with many children because of it. We talked at length about devising some sort of assessment for reading, writing and maths for the end of Reception against NC levels which can then be used as a basis for tracking progress through KS1. We would use the FSP as a starting point for our assessments. This would then be an accurate measure of progress. Our head still needs convincing. He thinks standards and expectations will drop!

Has anyone else done anything similar at the end of YR?

This debate is doing my head in and we get quite heated at school about it!!!!!

Heyjude

Thanks for that. I had a copy already but it was good to look at it again. What I really could do with though is some NC Level equivalents in terms of Level 1a / 1b/ 1c Levels 2a / 2b / 2c etc.

Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)