Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Profile To "predict" Nc Levels

Have you seen the FAQ on the standards site ~ here is part of the question on Ofsted

'Some registered inspectors may still be asking schools about the relationship between attainment on entry to the Foundation Stage and KS1 and 2 test results. Current initiatives will soon mean that this enquiry is often meaningless: the changes to KS1 assessment place it in line with the Foundation Stage, as both approaches are based on teacher assessment. The statutory assessments for the Foundation Stage and KS1 are based on whole curriculum teacher assessment, the KS2 tests provide a snapshot of attainment. The use of different classes of data to map spurious 'value-added' from one type of data to another that is statistically different in nature may provide irrelevant and/or misleading results. It is for this reason that QCA's advice at the time of the publication of the The Foundation Stage Profile handbook was to the effect that this kind of mapping should be avoided until research has been carried out at national level into its reliability and validity. This advice remains eminently sensible.'

LGM

Thanks for that. I had a copy already but it was good to look at it again. What I really could do with though is some NC Level equivalents in terms of Level 1a / 1b/ 1c Levels 2a / 2b / 2c etc.

Thanks again

40382[/snapback]

Will this do?

NC writing descriptors

1C

• produce recognisable letters and words or symbols to convey meaning

• some commonly used letters are correctly shaped

• letters may be inconsistent in size and orientation

• some of their writing may need to be mediated to be understood

1B

• some phrases and simple sentences with recognisable words

• writing generally understood without mediation

• begin to show an understanding of how full stops are used

• most letters clearly shaped and correctly orientated

1A

• using phrases and simple statements

• making choices of appropriate vocabulary

• some words spelt conventionally

• letters clearly shaped and correctly orientated

• some use made of full stops and capital letters

2C

• writing communicates meaning beyond a simple statement

• writing shows some characteristics of narrative or non-narrative writing, but form may not be sustained

• individual ideas are developed in short sections

• vocab is appropriate to subject matter, with some words used effectively

• 1 month later...
scarily my Assessment co-ordinator has just returned from a twilight where she was told that level 9 writing in FSP equates to a child preforming at level 2C/ 2B!!!

40236[/snapback]

Hi Guys.

I know this is an old thread but it is being looked at at my school at the moment. I've mentioned this on a previous post in the 'profile' section about my previous class doing a lot better than the last. And me being questioned.

Problem is now that we have been told that if a child get an early learning goal in say writing then they will achive a 2B in the SATS, this is apparently including ELG 4 all the way up to 9.

Is it just me or is this ridiculus? How can they be grouped altogether and be predicted a 2B when the post quoted says they need a 9!

Any ideas?

The post you quoted was referring to the fact that if a child is working at profile point 9 they are already working at 2B/2C, so would be MUCH further on at KS1 SATs!

I don't really use profile points to predict SATs results, I go on my gut feeling, based not only on what the child can do at the end of Reception but also on their attitude to learning and how they have progressed across the year. It seems to work, because I've been told I'm pretty accurate :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)