Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Probably A Stupid Question About Outdoors In The Rain

This is probably a stupid question with no set answer but I would still like some opinions please! We are due ofsted any day now and therefore I am questionning and doubting my every move!!

We have a canopy covering our outdoor area which is set up and used regardless of the weather. Is this enough or should I be setting up appropriate activities that are not in the covered area for children to use? We do have all in one waterproof suits but the children find them really difficult to put on (reception) and we don't have the man power to have someone helping them with it all day long.

I don't want to let myself down on something like this!

i would stick to what your doing - if and when Ofsted arrive and children want to play in the rain let them as with any other day - they will take resources with them if the want too

• Like 1

No question is stupid on here, that's what's great about this forum. I would certainly have the outdoors open freely for those to choose whether to venture out or not rain or shine as it were. If it were thundering and lightning it mIght be an ideal time to explore choices, decisions and safety etc. good luck.

Hello Mrs L - We're in the same boat ofsted due and wondering what to do - at the moment staff take turns for outdoor planning and some will go out in the rain and others prefer to make a fab indoor activity to let off steam etc I have told them that if ofsted are in I want them to show the lovely activities we do do in the rain. I have an outdoor rain weather box available for children and staff to access, things we do include; collecting rain in foil trays and listening to the rain, checking our rain catcher to see how much rainwater we have collected, using sweeping brushes and washing up liquid to claen the paving slabs and provide brilliant mark marking oppertunities, use powder paint to mix with puddles and use umbrellas to do an unbrella dance! We have special waterproof ponchos which are quite easy to put on and keep the children dry!

• Like 1

I like the idea of ponchos!

We have wellies, and waterproofs for when its really bad - but recently staff have got into the habit of "oh, its raining, we better come in and do snack..."

; collecting rain in foil trays and listening to the rain, checking our rain catcher to see how much rainwater we have collected, using sweeping brushes and washing up liquid to claen the paving slabs and provide brilliant mark marking oppertunities, use powder paint to mix with puddles and use umbrellas to do an unbrella dance! We have special waterproof ponchos which are quite easy to put on and keep the children dry!

Sounds like an 'ofsted moment' ( like the foil tray idea) .....would actually be a shame if the sun was to shine!! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)