Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

On Entry Assessment

Hi there,

I am busy planning the beginning of a new reception term for Sept and need some help with on entry assessments. I'm supporting an NQT and would like some input on on entry asessments. Does anyone have some kind of framework or format for assessments during induction (we only have 1 week half days). I would really like something that links to the Profile but with steps prior to point 1. I know this is cheeky, last year I just used the profile and entered the results but my NQT has no understanding of the profile and I feel I need to provide a more clear and precise assessment format for her. Many Thanks Emma

You aren't being cheeky! First of all, I've used the PIPS as an on-entry assessment. Basically, it highlights what they can count, what numbers they can recognise, what letter names/sounds they know by letter recognition etc. It's data is then transferrable. It's also something you have to buy in - so you may need to order now.

I don't think you should worry about having to do anything different to what you have done before if it has worked for you. PIPS assessment is time consuming and then you have to transfer the information to the profiles anyway as that is our formal assessment record.

Secondly, as an NQT last year I made it my job to become familiar with the profile. If you are to support your NQT you are there to support his/her needs as far as becoming a competent Early Years practitioner. This means that s/he does need to get familiar with the profile ASAP. If you use your past methods of on-entry assessment, it may give him/her an on the job awakening of what the profile entails, as s/he will need to get used to using it.

You should be pleased that you are thinking of the NQTs needs, but you should also remember that they need your guidance on 'real life' teaching. I remember my mentor doing a lesson observation and feeding back to me. Because she said my lesson had gone extremely well and at the time couldn't think of anything to put in the 'areas to develop' box, she included something about my referring to the 'coloured pencil' as 'crayons'!!!!! My mentor didn't support me in my figuring out of the profile - I had to work out that myself. Instead, I was taught the correct term for the stuff that the kids used to colour with!!

So don't worry too much about your role or how to make it easier for the NQT. The best thing you can do is to make them feel comfortable with the statutory assessment profile!! I would have loved that!!

Hope that helps somewhat!

Hi there,

I am busy planning the beginning of a new reception term for Sept and need some help with on entry assessments. I'm supporting an NQT and would like some input on on entry asessments. Does anyone have some kind of framework or format for assessments during induction (we only have 1 week half days). I would really like something that links to the Profile but with steps prior to point 1. I know this is cheeky, last year I just used the profile and entered the results but my NQT has no understanding of the profile and I feel I need to provide a more clear and precise assessment format for her. Many Thanks Emma

34979[/snapback]

Emma - why make more work for yourself - at a centre of excellence for early years we were told that they use the first 3 points of the Profile scales for their entry assessments. We will try this in Sept plus a simple number/phonic check. Hope this helps.

Hi Emma, I woud agree with gater and Bungalow and use the FSP where you can. I presume what you say that you dont have a nursery?

We complete an 'initail observation' form which begins with the home visit, includes inofrmation parnst give us about what the child likes to do, and then our own first impressions if you like. We find this helpful if we have children who take a long time to settle in, and to record things not covered by the FSP. Since mst of our children come from our own nursery, we use it in nursery also.

I dont have a computer copy but if you think this may be of some use to you, let me know and I'll try and scan it in

Hi Emmai,

I am not very familiar with the FSP ( being Preschool) but have glanced at one. I am curious as to whether you receive a "Record of Transfer" for each child who is entering Reception from their Preschool/Nursery.

I see that the children are only part time for one week and I would think it will take time for them to settle, one after the long break and two into a new routine/environment.

I have some children leaving me who have attended 5 full days a week for the last year and will have their hours reduced to 1/2 days only for the Autumn Term. I would think, as you say, leaving assessment for a while would be sensible, maybe working from the "next steps" identified on the Records of transfers.

I have just spent the last two weeks writing the Record of Transfers, (based on longitudinal observations) they include a comment on each aspect within each of the 6 areas of the FSC and at what level the child is at Yellow, Blue and some Green. ( the coloured bands in the FSC publication.) I also include a comment on the childs "next steps".

Maybe looking at these will assist your NQT- I'm surprised awareness of the profile is not covered during Teacher Training :o

Good luck, and if you have a class of children like the ones I am saying goodbye to, you will have a fantastic Reception year :D

Peggy

I think looking to see if they have achieved any of the early scale points is OK- but if they haven't -isn't that what observations and the stepping stones are for??? I used them to track progress and knew which Stepping stone "level" they were operating at. If they began to operate at an ELG level then they had met and attained scale points. Hence attainment at a national "norm".

I'm curious - doesn't the search for baseline "checks" undermine the importance of the FSCG, formative assessment/assessment through observation and working with the child? Any thoughts??

Edited by catma

I agree with you there, Catma, but unfortunately the need to prove value added ---especially if the provision in FS is in different settings and not continuous---seems to necessitate this acquistion of baseline info!

But knowing where they are at the start and at the end of the FS against the criteria setdown for the FS is demonstrating VA in my estimation. If we get children coming in who barely touched the yellow ss, and they attained a score of 7 overall that would be high VA surely. It's just how you look at the info. (Keep having this conversation with our senior maths inspector!!)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

34979[/snapback]

Hi Emma hope Ive managed to attach the Durham Scheme for Foundation Stage Assessment. It covers all the Foundation Stage from on entry to nursery to leaving Reception and is directly transferable to Foundation Stage Profiles.

Edited by MARl0N

Hi there,

34979[/snapback]

Hi Emma hope Ive managed to attach the Durham Scheme for Foundation Stage Assessment. It covers all the Foundation Stage from on entry to nursery to leaving Reception and is directly transferable to Foundation Stage Profiles.

Edited by Marion

Hi Marion,

There seems to be a problem with the download.  Could you kindly let us know with which program can we open it?

Thanks in advance  :) !

35961[/snapback]

Sorry Smiley

Not sure what I did wrong but I've editted it and it seems to be working ok now..............I hope!

Its in MS Word form so should be ok. The shaded areas are those that correspond directly to FSP. There is also whole class sheets on the end if needed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)