Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition To School

Apologies if this is already on here some where but I can't find it.

I'm trying to find the balance between informing the next setting and and bogging them down in paperwork that is of no real value.

Preschool people - what information and in what format do you pass on to school when a child transfers.

Reception people - what would you like preschool settings to pass on to you about each child.

Whitetree

We find that whatever is passed on to us is very helpful, and we always read whetever we get.

Its great to see included a picture, photo, painting or piece of writing that they have done, which we can then refer to as a reminder of where they have been. We find that these things often go home to parents so they share them with us when we do home visits.

Where I am we are required to do a report which gets passed on to the next setting. This is a brief overview of each of the areas of learning plus a section for 'next steps'. I also sit down with the children and ask them about what they like at playgroup and scribe it on a piece of paper and then ask them to draw a picture and maybe attempt to write their name if appropriate. This is attached to the report. :)

We have standardised report format provided by our early years team which all settings use for transition to school, we also include a picture and writing if appropriate with this. Our all have to be at schools by 1st july each year, before the children begin school visits.

we have to give positive remarks about each childs learning in all areas, and expect the schools to notice what is missing from the reports as much as what they say. (No negative comments no matter how hard it is to phrase what you want to say in a positve way.)

we write about 4 or 5 lines on each area, as well as general comments, to include any medical needs, number of sessions attended each week, start date, more than one setting attended, SEN action or action plus and an IEP if appropriate, although we would probably have contacted schools well in advance if this was the case.

we also have an area for parents to sign saying they have seen the report and giving them space to comment if they wish to.

Inge

I have previously attached our format for the Record of Transfer but I don't know how to link you to it, hopefully someone else can help with this.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)