Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diamond Jubilee Art Project Ideas Help

Hi my head has only just announced that she would like the whole school to be invoved in an art project to commemorate the jubilee. As we are skint there is no big money to be thrown at this so she's just going to free me up for a couple of days !!!!(I'm art coordinator). She has visions of something permanent for the school (we have lots of mosaics and pottery tile art on the walls which children have done in the past but we want something different) and she would like all children involved somehow. I am absolutely stumped for ideas especially as it will have to be done on a shoestring. Has anyone got any ideas? Can you tell me if your school is involved in such a project. I'm struggling to even think of a medium that the project can be done in that would be permanent.

Deb

Guest tinkerbell

mmmmmmmmmmmm we are going to celebrate the diamond jubilee too.

we will have a carousel day when the children will visit each teacher who will do a lesson /activity to do with the diamond jubilee (only 4 classes) ideas have been ,royal family tree,making crowns and tiaras,power point quiz on London landmarks and royal family, draw a new stamp.....???

As far as an art project that is a piece of work to be admired in school ,what about a textile hanging ? each child could be given a square of fabric( draw border not to be sewn for later sewing up) and could take it home to complete with parents on the theme'diamond jubilee',...or it could be started in school and taken home to finish ...I am envisaging the sewing on of old necklaces,jewels etc in patterns or pictures eg a crown or tiara,or corgi with a collar.,London landmarks...you could then get a band of happy volunteers to sew it all together ,you could have a panel Diamond Jubilee 2012 somewhere on it?

could be fun!

Could you get some glass paints and design a stained glass window effect for one of the schools windows? Could the children make a collage using metal washers, cogs, wheels etc. or a wall hanging using up materials, or something like a rag rug effect if you could stencil on a picture to some hessian.

I was thinking patchwork / fabric hanging thing too.....needlecraft seems to be making a come back so I am sure a few of your parents might be willing to help sew together the pieces once completed.

Just as an aside there is a sewing group that meets in a function room in one of the pubs in my town and the group are amusingly called 'Stitch & Bitch'.....whenever I see the group advertised it always makes me smile xD

• Like 1

I have been busy reminding people that the Queen is not only the Queen of the UK, but also' '1952, she became Head of the Commonwealth and queen regnant of seven independent Commonwealth countries: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan, and Ceylon. Her coronation service in 1953 was the first to be televised. Between 1956 and 1992, the number of her realms varied as territories gained independence and some realms became republics. Today, in addition to the first four aforementioned countries, Elizabeth is Queen of Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada,Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis' (Wikipedia).

I'm picturing a map of the world with all those countries picked out in crystal sequins!!

Honey

• 2 weeks later...

Just an idea but last year our whole school finger printed our school logo on a very large canvas. It is now on show outside our main entrance in a perspex box/frame. Every child was involved and can mostly show you where their finger print is! It needs a little organisation and supervision but it looks very effective.

Becs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)