Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fees For 8 Month Old & Older Child From 7Am-9Am

Hi guys

Have been approached to look after an 8 month old who's mum is due to start shifts on a 3 week rota. She can give me 12 weeks shifts in advance and needs me one week out of three to cover early shift. She wants me to take the 8 month old & her 4 yr old(reception class) from 7 am, take older daughter to school then baby to nursery.

My official opening hours are from 8am however I am flexible. I have 3 of my own children age 10, 9 & 5 so I class before 8am unsociable hours. Any advice on charges?

My standard rate is £3.50 per hour. School children before & after school care £2.75 per hour with £1 fee for a light tea.

Aaaargghh!

I charge double for unsociable hours and the same rate for all ages of children. Some people charge a higher rate for after school care.

Your charges sounds very reasonable, especially for the food.

I would £7.00 per child for the hour before 8.00am, normal rates for the second hour and a small retainer for the weeks you won't be working in recognition of the fact that you cannot offer the place to another child.

I think you should think about what your family's needs are. Is it the money or the mornings that are more important? How are you going to feel about handing that baby over? I wouldn't grieve over losing this one if it didn't work out but it is money for doing not much more than you do for your own children.

This is the third time I've attempted this answer and, contrary to my original thoughts, go for all the money and if you don't get it you'll have your own family time. Upsy's right.

Best of luck whatever happens,

Honey

I paid my childminder double for unsociable hours and half the usual rate for a retainer when my husband's shift meant we didn't need her to have our son. She also charges the same rate of pay for whatever aged children. so if I'd asked for this arrangement with my childminder, I'd have paid £7 for each child for the first hour, £3.50 each for the second hour when she had them; and £3.50 each for the first hour of her not having them and £1.75 each for the second hour of her not having them.

(When I did this it was evenings for both my boys while I was at uni till 9 and the childminder had them till half past seven some weeks when husband was on day shift, till half past six when on night shift & my sister got them from childminder, and not at all when husband was on days off... It took some working out! I paid double for unsociable hours after 6pm.)

I'd set a quote out in writing to this family showing how much you will charge for the weeks you have them and the weeks you don't, what about school holidays? Will you have them more then or will they both go to baby's nursery?

As a parent, it would only be worth my paying it if I were going to get help with childcare from WFTC, of course she may be.

And as a practitioner, I'd say better to set it all out clearly from the beginning rather than have them for a month or two, get them settled with you (as much as a 1 week in 3 pattern will allow) before mum says she can't afford it and gives up.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Have spoken to the mum and explained that she would need to pay a retainer for the 2 weeks in between at half rate as having her baby till 9am 5 mornings every 3 weeks limited me then offering that place to another mum who may need me from 8am, but wanted full day care for under 1yr old.

We talked things through & the outcome is that baby is one in August so she will muddle through juggling between hubby, nursery & grandparents till then & then baby will come to me for more structured and longer periods probably 2 full days every week. This option sounds much more viable for me especially working around my own kids!

Mum wasnt keen to pay retainer as she isn't claiming wftc but wants to pay with childcare vouchers. At least talking things through has paid off as she has paid me a retainer for a place in Aug.

Hooray. Hope things aren't this complicated with any future enquireies!!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Have spoken to the mum and explained that she would need to pay a retainer for the 2 weeks in between at half rate as having her baby till 9am 5 mornings every 3 weeks limited me then offering that place to another mum who may need me from 8am, but wanted full day care for under 1yr old.

We talked things through & the outcome is that baby is one in August so she will muddle through juggling between hubby, nursery & grandparents till then & then baby will come to me for more structured and longer periods probably 2 full days every week. This option sounds much more viable for me especially working around my own kids!

Mum wasnt keen to pay retainer as she isn't claiming wftc but wants to pay with childcare vouchers. At least talking things through has paid off as she has paid me a retainer for a place in Aug.

Hooray. Hope things aren't this complicated with any future enquireies!!!!!

Hiya, probably a bit late on this one but I had a similar arrangement ie mornings only and dropping off at nursery. the child was quite unsettled whenever I dropped off at nursery which made me realise I couldnt actually do it anymore (cos I dont like the particualr nursery I was dropping off at) parents didnt want to move the child to me despite his upset so we parted ways. Just wondering why she isnt using you full time anyway ?which would be more cost effective in the long run, flexible and give her child personal, focussed one to one care to boot :)

If your okay with the nursery and rate them ( the one I visited was appalling) then okay and good if not dont go near !! best wishes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)