Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quick Turn-Around Teas

I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of menu planning but the last few Thursdays' teas have left me twisty.

After picking up six under eights from school at 3.30, I give those not staying for tea a snack - no problem. I then drop three back to school and pick up three over-eights from skipping club. By the time we get back it's 4.45 (tea is usually 4.30). The food then needs serving in time for some to go home at 5.15 and then I take another one to Rainbows at 5.30.

I know it's doable but I need a hot meal that takes no time to put on the table and doesn't have any touching components (Several fussy eaters). I usually do bowls of plain mince or meatballs (pork as one Hindu child), roasted chicken or steamed salmon. Then passata, cheese, cream cheese, crudite, and a carb of some sort (pasta, rice, pita bread). This sounds simple, but really needs more time than I had available today. Today's pasta with chicken (re-heated) and bits and pieces was just too hard in the time available.

So who might have some tricks they might share please?

Yours exhaustedly,

Honey

Thanks Hali,

Good point. Can do some plain mince (heaven forbid there might be some onion or something in it!!). Maybe if I get a rice cooker I can have both on while we're out and a salad in the fridge. Soy Sauce and vinegar to boost their sodium levels and rot their teeth and we're set. It's all about timing - re-heating more than one thing just takes too much time even if it's only a couple of minutes.

See how it works next week.

Honey

Honey, your Thursdays sounds like my Wednesdays! :P

When time is short I usually fall back on jacket potatoes, they can be left in the oven while I'm out and I prepare a selection of fillings in advance... grated cheese, tuna mayonnaise, chopped cooked chicken and a salad left in the fridge and either chilli, curry or a bolognaise style hot filling in the slow cooker.... then I allow the children to self select and serve if they can.

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)