Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting A Setting

Apprentices are a good way to get a cheap extra body, plus in our area they are offering grants of £1,200 for new settings that take on an apprentice. Perhaps you could find out if this is a national thing.

We are getting 3 when we open our new nursery. On the whole we've been very lucky with apprentices and the 2 with us currently both did their level 2 and are now doing level 3. We will be keeping them on as permanent staff when we move.

When I opened in September I was told that the manager has to have at least a level 3 and half of all other staff must be at least a level 2. Does having EYPS change this?

heres what the welfare requirements say:

Children aged three and over in any registered early years provision

6 Between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm, where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years

Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant, and defined by CWDC) is working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children;
  • at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 (as defined by CWDC).

7 At any time outside the hours of 8 am and 4 pm, or between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm but where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant, and defined by CWDC) is not working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every eight children;
  • at least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 (as defined by CWDC);
  • at least half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 (as defined by CWDC).

That's a good idea, apprentices thanks I'll look into that. I've come to the understanding that this forum is not really for me, like someone said we have no idea about each others professional experience and no way of determining it on-line. Thanks everyone articles for me!

That was me who said it. I was merely pointing out that without personal knowledge we might seem like we're telling our granny how to suck eggs.

Its a shame you wont be around to form some friendships, hope everything turns out well for you :1b :1b

Hi all -

I am a qualified teacher at an educational nursery, and the first year I was in there we had to have 1:13 ratio - I know everyone has said about this, but seriously, as someone who has done it, I cerainly wouldn't recommend it! Not only is it hard work, but it isn't good for the children, you can't do all the things you want to do and it can be very disheartening.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)