Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sick Pay

spiceye

Hi Guys,

Like many, I am having trouble setting a policy for sick pay that is fair. Many of you have said that you pay staff for 5 days per year (does this not set a trend that staff we take 5 days regardless if they are sick or not?) If staff are off for 4 consetitive days I claim SSP, however I find lots of staff take the odd day (or 2) here and there and by the end of the year most staff (I have 13 in total) have racked up on average 10 sick days each - all fully paid.

Any good suggestions/policies would be great.

Many thanks.

I guess I am a bit mean, but I don't pay staff if they are off sick, only if they qualify for SSP. We don't have a number of sick days that they can take per year as for some, I am sure this would amount to x number of days extra paid holiday.

Beehive

• Like 1

we too never paid unless SSP kicked in...

you could set a rate of sick pay same as SSP to reduce the temptation to take the days as extra paid days off.. so it was a reduced amount..

so many ways it could be done..

Guest colechin

I too do not pay sick pay, but do have a HR person in next week to look at all our contacts, job descriptions, appraisal forms, new applicant procedures etc.

When I receive the new information I will post the details in the resources section.

Hi All,

We are one of those settings who give 5 days sick pay per year. I can certainly appreciate spiceeye with that amount of staff it can prove extremely costly. We are very fortunate that we are a very small team of 5 who have been together for many years and nobody has abused this system, some staff do not have any sick time off and some have the 5 days.

Debster

Thanks Debster - I had a similiar system when I worked in a office (how boring!) but I know my staff will abuse the system, I don't NOT want to pay them, but when 1 or 2 staff are constantly off every other week it is proving costly!

• 4 weeks later...

I have 45 staff over 2 settings, with varying sickness absences. Echoing as above, there are some staff who I would love to pay sick pay to because they struggle in no matter what, and others that can't seem to so a whole month. We do not pay sick pay, just SSP, and have a strict sickness record based on average attendance.

I don't pay sick pay (except SSP). Mostly, staff make up the missed hours or it's deducted from that month's overtime (they all do some overtime). I do give up to 3 days pa pay for caring for dependents if they are sick (not inset days).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)