Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Responsibility Of A Level 3 Eyp With Dip In Preschool Practice.

Hi I have a level 3 diploma in preschool practice and have over 5 years experience working in a reception class in an international school in Switzerland. I would like to know what level of responsibility a similarly qualified practitioner would have I the UK. Would someone receive a salary increase on achieving their diploma . .. Ie I had no qulaification to begin with and now do... But with no increase in salary.. Is this fair?

I would love to hear what similarly qualified staff do in their setting.

Thanks everyone.

County

X

As much as pay rises would be nice with qualifications it doesn't always happen :o

Most employers though will maybe pay a little more between someone unqualified to someone qualified but probs only by 10 to 20p and hour.

I worked in a setting and everyone from unqualified to those with degrees recieved min wage

Thanks Sazz for your reply. What about responsibility within your setting. Planning, leading class etc.

The NEC say that a person with a diploma in preschool practice can take on a more supervisory role.. What does that mean, how much responsibility could I ask for?

:-)

County

As much as pay rises would be nice with qualifications it doesn't always happen :o

Most employers though will maybe pay a little more between someone unqualified to someone qualified but probs only by 10 to 20p and hour.

I worked in a setting and everyone from unqualified to those with degrees recieved min wage

Much as we would like to recognise each person's qual level, sadly our funds do not always allow this. Therefore you would get the rate for the job discription whatever your level is.

I only wish we could offer more money per hour, but the way the funding works now, personally I can only see it getting worse for us in a village preschool.

xxx

I am a lvl 3 with a DPP and am the manager of our village pre school. I also have staff who have level 3 and they are classed as assistants who get a bit more than the minimum wage but not much - they do get a bit more for being qualified (one gets paid a bit more for deputising when I'm not there). I don't get that much more!

Jo

It all goes with the job description you were employed to do - unless some form of agreement was made then normally the role would remain the same and so will salary.

Not many places add for the qualifications , a few do if they want to encourage staff to train and get some recognition for it, but not all.

As this is equivalent to a school reception class I am unable to say what the role would be here for a level 3.

I do increase salaries as staff increase their qualification as I feel this is justified by their hard work in completing the qualification. I try as much as I can to pay the same rate to people with the same level of qualification, so if a level 2 increased to level 3, they would be paid the same as other level 3 staff. I also pay more if people take on extra responsibilities, eg senco.

Money is tight for us too, but I would find it hard to justify paying a graduate the minimum wage.

Beehive

Thanks Sazz for your reply. What about responsibility within your setting. Planning, leading class etc.

The NEC say that a person with a diploma in preschool practice can take on a more supervisory role.. What does that mean, how much responsibility could I ask for?

:-)

County

For me responsibilty does not nessecarily come with qualifications.

However that is not to say you could suggest you take the lead on planning or taken on the role of room supervisors if your setting allows for that.

We have currently demoted my deputy - long story but she has still kept on a lot of the roles she had as deputy. She had these roles/responsibilities simply because there was too much for me to do.

However my new assistant has taken on the role of planning because it's her strong point and she will soon be taken over as a leader while I am on maternity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)