Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leap Into Life

We were lucky enough to have a PE teacher who is the area SSCO come in for a year and do a weekly Leap into life session with us. She was amazing and we learnt loads from her and we intended to continue these sessions when she left, but as yet we have not got around to it. The book is fine for ideas but you do really need to plan these sessions and our PE sessions tend to be more sponatneous and in tune with the wants and needs of the group on the day. The good thing about the book is it allows for planned progression through the different stages. Really must get to grips with it again!!!

We use leap into life - every morning! My TA went on a course a couple of years ago and the children love it.

It replaces our PE lessons and can be used alongside topics and interests.

If it doesn't happen first thing every morning the children really miss it!

• 4 weeks later...

I used Leap into Life for a year. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that you need suitable music for some of the activities and it wasn't always easy to find something - suggestions are made in the book but it is not specific e.g. it might say 'a song to move to', 'music (jerky/rhythmical)', 'music (several pieces of varying styles/tempos)' etc.

I love to do PE/movement/dance to music so was pleased to find Val Sabin's 'Action Kids', complete with about 6 music CDs - and the children (and staff) love it.

The Leap into Life programme is intended for DAILY involvement and, as it is intended for planned progression (brilliant in principle), this is not practical for those children who attend only once or twice a week. Furthermore, for my situation, the hall is the only suitable area to do this - and we have only two sessions per week allocated hall time.

Sorry if I sound negative about the programme, but just sharing my experience with you. ;)

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...

My PE co-ordinator as just purchased this for my school - and I have similar thoughts to those above in regard to daily sessions (not possible) and resourcing the music -

does anyone who has been using this for a while have any good suggestions for tried and tested music? (am currently going through my CD collection for something suitable each week!)

Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)