Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playleader Appraisal

Rea

I need some help please. Our playleader is due an appraisal which I am to do as chair. As I very rarely see her working I have no idea what to do at the appraisal. Any tips? I dont even know how she does the rest of the staffs.

:o

Edited to say, I feel more lost about this because I am level 3 she's 5 so I never feel I should be telling her anything. I've also got a couple of concerns about how the EYFS is being followed and dont know how to bring it up.

Edited by Rea

I would ask for copies of the appraisals for the staff she has done, as you are their employer so while delegating the job should have copies to see how the staff are doing and how they are being allowed to develop their practice.. this could give an insight into her working role as well as an idea on what you could do.

perhaps a visit to preschool and a couple of observing her work. There should be something for her to complete before doing it so she can reflect on what she sees as her strengths, weaknesses and needs for training and help in the role, and this could follow with a formal meeting to discuss her role and how she feels she is doing which would lead into your comments and what you have observed in the setting etc..

leading to some targets for development and improvement , training , etc.. and how you will help this happen..

While she may have the training and qualifications, you are still the employer and while you do not want to interfere in her practice are in a position to question and ask about anything you are concerned about.. giving chance for her to voice how she sees things

probably not worded it right but hope you get the gist..

Thanks Inge, I kind of know what I should be asking but the problem is that she's a good friend too outside playgroup so I dont want anything to..........................oh blah.

I dont want this job anymore.

I'm covering for one of the staff after half term so I can observe informally, I'm going to ask to see the planning, learning journals, staff appraisals and that will help with the things we discuss.

You've helped me clear my head. Thanks :oxD

Ditto... def visit to watch her work, and one other bug bear of mine is raising something at an appraisal that comes as a complete shock to the apprasee (sorry shocking spelling) if you need to speak then bring it up before dont leave to a once a year 121

there should be nothing in the appraisal that the person is not aware of

good luck

does make it harder when she is a friend as well, but would hope that she could separate the two and act as the professional at work and not let it affect the other friendship.. not easy I know but it could work in your favour , if not I always wonder if they are that much of a friend if they take all to heart so much.. ensure she knows which hat you are wearing.

it is helpful that you are covering for staff though.. time to reflect and observe without being too obvious

good luck

Thanks Deb, I have never even laid eyes on the SEF so that would be a good thing too.

Suer, thanks for that, I was kind of forgetting that in my panic :o

This is turning into a 'wake up, you're the chair, these are your jobs' appraisal for me too xD

I couldnt do without this forum

Im sure you will be fine, ask her what she likes /not like strengths and weakness's what training has been done and what she may like to do

these answers which could be asked in advance may lead to comments etc that you may need ask

Hi I am just in the middle of completing the appraisals for 14 staff members. I distributed a form approximately 4 weeks ago and asked for them to be returned by a set date. I have read them all, gave each person a set date/time to meet up. I then go through their job description reinforcing their job roles and we go through the completed forms together. My appraisal will be conducted by the chair after meeting with myself and going through all the other appraisal forms together. Hope this helps. :o

Edited by bridger