Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Candlemas

I need to do a display for Candlemas - does anyone have any ideas?

So far, the children have used their hands to print candles and have added finger print 'flames' - on black sugar paper. They have also done observational drawings of a church. Now I need to turn this into a display. My mind is blank at the moment - and displays are not my strong point!

Candlemas was on February the 2nd so it is a bit after the event now. It celebrates the presentation of Christ at the Temple and the Purification of Mary after the birth of Christ, as sex was not allowed until 6 weeks after the birth of a baby, so it marks the end of the Christmas period. It is regarded as a Christmas festival of Christ, and Christ was the light of the world. Candles are the add on in that they represent the light of the world. Beeswax was harvested at the end of the previous year and candles made over the winter period, so the candles (light) to be used in church are blessed for the coming year.

So if you have to do a Candlemas display for young children then perhaps candles, bees and a depiction of Christ at the temple would make a display.

Thanks Cait and JacquieL. Yes, we have done the activities and now I want to display the children's work; I realise Candlemas has now been and gone - but I still want to do a display. We have a SIAS inspection coming up very shortly, so would like to have a Christian aspect of the curriculum displayed.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)