Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Children - Taster Visit

Hi!

I work in a maintained nursery, and have just started EYPS.

I am looking at what we do when children come for their 'taster visit', usuall towards the end of the term before they start.

Some parents stay, but most have been more than glad to leave them! I am wondering, as part of my EYPS, if I copuld to introcduce some sort of 'This is Me!' type sheet for parents to complete and bring to the taster, perhaps adding a photo of their child. Does anyone use anything like this? Obviously we have all the official paperwork but often not 'til thy actually start, so it would help us to have the child's name, thr name they are called by, parent/carers contact number, and info on anything we need to know so that the visit is enjoyable - even things like whether they can manage the loo on their own!!

Does this sound completely bonkers?!

Madmum

Not bonkers - very sensible! In Kent we have a system called My Unique Story, which is the beginning of the child's Learning Journey, so our initial sheet, which I send out to parents before child comes in for the taster session will ask parents to complete questions such as, My names is, but I like to be called.................. things I enjoy doing at home............... things I don't like doing at home my current interests are............... I have pet/s called.............. I have a brother/sister called.............., then you could ask questions about well being and involvement, I generally ask them to fill out a section which just says, Things I would like you to know about my child and parents often write things in this area such as, ".......... is/isn't potty trained at the moment, ............. was a premature baby and still has check ups every year, we are concerned about............ Next section is entitled "questions I would like answered, generally these may be parents questioning what would happen if my child became very upset, or illl during a session, what would you do if they had a tantrum what would you do, things like that.

When the parent/carers come in, I quickly run through these pages and answer any pertinent questions for them, writing down the answers too because this goes into the learning journey folder, I also get them to check the registration form over, which may have been completed some months before, I ask about hearing, speech and language too at that point.

Hi, I also do just like Panders,

I give parents a welcome pack with information about the nursery that they need and at the same time a sheet that they fill in there and then or would be welcome to take home. It is just two sides of A4 and has questions such as favourite games, siblings, nursery rhymes they know, whether they like drawing etc. It also has a question about whether they have any concerns about their child's speech or if they have any external agencies involved with the family.

I have also worked in settings when they give out a 'my first picture' and 'my first name' that they get the parents to do with their child. I like the bit that Panders mentions about asking the parents if they have any questions, maybe I'll add that in next time!

Hope that helps! Zoziebell x

I brought with me from previous setting a double a4 sheet called 'all about me' with lots of statements to highlight for the child , this goes into child learning profile and makes it easy for keyperson to have a better idea of their childs likes dislikes , family members etc , parents also like it too .

'brought with me from previous setting a double a4 sheet called 'all about me' with lots of statements to highlight for the child , this goes into child learning profile and makes it easy for keyperson to have a better idea of their childs likes dislikes , family members etc , parents also like it too .'

Any chance you could share it?! :o

I like the idea of highlighting. I assume you mean the parent /carer highlights before they give it to you?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)