Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Drinking Water

fimbo

we currently have a water jug and tray of cups, this works sometimes -but some of the younger less able children are struggling to pour by themselves, then we have the problem of used cups being put back in with the clean cups.

im not sure if we should continue with the cups and jugs -maybe put a picture up of clean and used cups so they know where each should be put (and the pouring will come with time)

maybe ask the parents to send a water bottle in daily (and provide a bottle if none is sent in ) and hopefully each child will have a different bottle

provide water bottles -but how to label each childs ?

we cant afford to buy any type of dispenser.

who knew drinking water could be so complicated !! :o

Hi Fimbo,

interesting thread as we've had many different techniques and the most sucessful is what we use at the moment, paper cups that are in a cone shape so the children can't put them down unless they are empty (they just throw them into a bucket anyway so if they have some water it doesn't matter).

We just use a small jug that has a lid - but a two yr old would still struggle with this. Hope that helps and I'll be interested to see what everyone else uses.

Spiral :-)

We ask the parents to provide a flask of water for the children each day. This is kept in a plastic crate where the children can access at any time. It works for us, occasionally there maybe 2 alike, but we haven't had any major problems with this, they are labelled and parents do point out which one to their child and its location in the crate, to begin with anyway!

Wow, love these ideas - certainly will be thinking about this for the future! Thank you Fimbo (I'm pinching your replies now) x

we bought water bottles for each child ourselves and each one has a key ring attached with the child's name and photograph, so they know which is theirs. we sterilise them each day in a solution of Milton. We did it because we too got fed up with spills, even when the drinks were set out on trays. We asked parents to provide bottles and some did, some didn't..............and of those who did, some of them made my stomach turn as the tops were chewed and manky! so, we said that as bottles were sometimes forgotten, we'd supply them ourselves. Easier and we can keep an eye on condition, as well as making sure they are very clean. We got them in Poundland, pack of two for a pound.

we have cups and a jug with lid.The children are taught to place their cup into a box (under the table )when they have finished. As long as the jug is not over full (and therfore too heavy) they seem to cope with this well...i've only had one spill this week and thats with 2 year olds and children with some physical issues too...needs monitoring when they start but not for long.(i think the jugs are addis ones and have a spout so perhaps don't pour too quickly.

Although we are lucky enough to have a water dispenser the children take a clean plastic mug from the basket and drop the dirty one into a bucket near the machine. They are taught that this from early on so they are used to knowing where to get a clean one and where to put the dirty one. As the two receptacles are very different this helps them to remember which is which.

I have also seen how successful the laminated photos tied onto a rubber band are in a nursery that I am supporting. Some children have their photo on a carton of milk, some on a cup and others on their own water bottles. This system is working really well.

Ooh- and a note of warning about the dangers of reusing plastic water bottles- I don't want to be a scare monger and like everything else there is a risk to everything we are exposed to but the dangers of over re-using certain water bottles made from certain plastics has a lot of weighting. Google to find out more to make your own decision.

Hi, we ask parents to bring in a labeled water bottle with drink, which the child keeps in their basket and can help themselves whenever.

However ofsted had said to us that we do need to also provide water readily available for the children too.

We used to have a water bottle for each child that we had bought and filled with water everyday, it had a picture and name label on, but having to clean and fill and sort out which children were in on that day was quite time consuming.

Also the younger 2year olds would help themselves to any of the bottles.. tricky when we are a preschool with mixed ages :o

we did try the jug and cups but just got spilled everwhere.. by the younger ones, chidren messing around and also by the children with some special needs.

wow -lots of great replies !!

think im going to try to continue with the jug -they really do like being able to pour their own, i will try and create a 'clean ' and 'used' cup posterl and re-enforce where the used cups need to go.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)