Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Registration As Food Businesses

Registration of Childminders as food businesses in England.

Please can I make you aware of the following document so that you can if you wish to do so respond? The closing date is February 6th so it’s crucial if you want your view to count that you complete the form.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is carrying out an initial consultation in England into how food law applies to childminders who provide food on a regular basis to the children that they look after. (See link below),

http://www.food.gov.uk/consultations/consu...dmindfoodbuseng

I was sent the information by my Childminding Network, apologies if you've already seen it.

Nona

I cook a hot meal for all my mindees at lunchtime. I've always felt a hot meal in the middle of an often long day is in their best interests.... some arrive before 8am and don't leave until 6pm so they could go a long time on just snacks otherwise.

Even if I opted to ask for meals from home I'd still have to register as a food business as there are rules and regulations (aren't there always?!) about the handling, labelling and storage.... everything would have to be unpacked, repacked and labelled to avoid cross-contamination plus there's the issue of the little ones wanting what the others have got in their packed lunches xD

Think I'll just keep my head down :o

Nona

Even if I opted to ask for meals from home I'd still have to register as a food business as there are rules and regulations (aren't there always?!) about the handling, labelling and storage.... everything would have to be unpacked, repacked and labelled to avoid cross-contamination plus there's the issue of the little ones wanting what the others have got in their packed lunches :o

I registered as a food business in Worcestershire about three years ago I think. I have just been told that I had to go on a food hygiene course, which I have done. Nothing else has ever been expected of me and I certainly don't unpack and repack food.

Who told you this Nona?

Yes, I too am registered. Only had to fill out a form about my business - the types of food served and general food safety stuff. No biggie really and I don't think I had to pay anything. Food Hygiene course was paid for by LA - maybe that will need to be refreshed at my own expense one day. Might pay to club together with Network to provide training when it comes up.

I cook lots of meals. Really hated it when I first started childminding and someone did packed lunches. They always packed something that I wasn't allowed to let the other children have and I wasn't confident enough to tackle the subject.

The consultation form does not seem to be very easy to get on to - is it just asking for a written statement of opinion? Anyway, I don't mind the Status Quo. Better go and clean my fridge and empty the bin.

Honey

I registered as a food business in Worcestershire about three years ago I think. I have just been told that I had to go on a food hygiene course, which I have done. Nothing else has ever been expected of me and I certainly don't unpack and repack food.

Who told you this Nona?

It was covered on my food hygiene course last year and was confirmed when a new childminder registered with Sandwell had her visit from Environmental Health.

Nona

It was covered on my food hygiene course last year and was confirmed when a new childminder registered with Sandwell had her visit from Environmental Health.

Nona

What a pain! Also I would have thought this repacking business would increase to likelihood of cross contamination.

Oh well. I shall carry on as I am until someone officially tells me different.

Oh this is Bonkers! What do schools do? Take all the lunches, stick 'em on a trolley near the heaters until lunchtime and hope the right kid picks up the right lunch. I know the children we have are younger so their immune system needs a bit more building up, but really!? What about outings? Supposed to unpack everything into anti-bact mobile fridge until lunch-time?

But seriously, I am pleased I bit the bullet and signed up even if the thought of filling out that form scared the living daylights out of me. I never expect to have an inspection, but neither do I ever expect to poison a child. Taking sensible steps to avoid cross-contamination and food spoilage is important, but we do that for our own families anyway. Filling in the form did help me to reflect upon my practice.

If you haven't been asked to do it I would n't worry about it, but just don't fear the form.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)