Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Natural Equipment For Garden

having settled into our new building and spent our initial money we are trying to sort out some more interesting provision for the garden. Nearly all of our items are natural wood and i would like to continue this. We have chosen not to have much static equipment as it does not allow for change very easily and we prefer open ended resources that allow children to adapt and change them for their own purpose.....this is what is now posing me some problems. I really need to extend our climbing and balancing equipment but am finding it really difficult to source something that fulfills all our wishes. I have seen a couple of things but they are SO expensive...realistically i want to spend about £500 (or less!!)...anyone any ideas??? :o

We bought some decking planks from a builders yard, these can be used to make bridges and balance beams are are really reasonbly priced as well as being treated for outdoor use already. We just cut them into manageable lengths for the children to move around independently. I actually bought loads of things from the builders yard for the outdoor area - drainpipes, guttering, cloth sacks, chain, rope, waste pipes, foam lagging, netting, bannisters, newel posts etc and it was much cheaper than commerically bought 'loose part' play items.

Guest thinlizzie

2 years ago we were given 5 tyres to use as flower pots but never got round to planting them as the children had such fun throwing bean bags into them, rolling them, leaning on them, stacking them, jumping in and out of them and playing with the water that collects inside the rims when it has been raining. We also use them to section off an area of the playground if any of the children are playing a "quiet game/activity". they stop the other children riding or scooting into them.

Tyres are brilliant and they are free from most tyre shops; if you are rural you may be able to get really large tractor tyres and they can be used as a seating area with everyone sitting around the edge.

If you have a strong tree you may be able to hang one...............tyre, not child!!!

good luck

What about tyres? Milk crates? Children? Oh maybe not that last one! xD

there are a couple i might be tempted to try with :o ...i have tried to avoid the crate and tyre type products at the mo because i am trying to go for an 'environmentally natural' area...we already have logs which we could use but i am finding the challenge is not enough, i think we need more height for my alpha male group!

thanks thin lizzie ...sorry posted above before i read your reply. I understand the value of tyres but i am really trying to keep to nature as much as possible and the children already use the wood logs for all of the above ...apart from swinging from a tree as unfortunately when they did the development they cut them all down :o

i do value your ideas though...it's good to know what others do. I was reading a blog from australia the other day and they have to paint their tyres white so that they can see the black widow spiders that tend to hide inside them...and we worry about our children using used loo rolls! xD

They might need some attention but I saw a lovely den made from two pallets at the Communication Friendly Spaces conference. They'd also be quite heavy for children to lift, so would need a bit of adult assistance.

If it were me I'd definitely go for the tyres - they might not be natural but their play value overcomes that, in my opinion.

How about some wooden step ladders (or we had some Ikea step stools for use in the bathroom which the children were always dragging outside!).

They might need some attention but I saw a lovely den made from two pallets at the Communication Friendly Spaces conference. They'd also be quite heavy for children to lift, so would need a bit of adult assistance.

If it were me I'd definitely go for the tyres - they might not be natural but their play value overcomes that, in my opinion.

How about some wooden step ladders (or we had some Ikea step stools for use in the bathroom which the children were always dragging outside!).

oh yes ive seen that den was on a cfs training last week....fab(when we got there which was rather late!! the instructions said aylesbury was nearer oxford!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Have a look at 'abc does' site, the latest entry in his 'outdoor' section shows a fantastic natural construction and also gives the contact details of the company who built it, haven't looked at their site so no idea of cost, but may give some inspiration.

Have a look at 'abc does' site, the latest entry in his 'outdoor' section shows a fantastic natural construction and also gives the contact details of the company who built it, haven't looked at their site so no idea of cost, but may give some inspiration.

thanks liberty i have had a look at that site and that is definitely the way i would like to go but the costs are really high (Talking thousands!!) i am really tempted to see if i can get two tree trunks and lay one over the other (in a v shape) but worried about safety.

can anyone remember what the fall height is? ....my feeling is 1.1 meters but can't find the info. The garden is grassed all over and i am not intending to put any extra safety surfacing down. I would have thought with the push towards natural play there would be loads of stuff on offer but all i can find is primary colour plastic...or painted wood!!

max321 what do you use to balance the boards on? ( B and Q is also my friend)

We use pieces of tree trunk, waste pipe joints ( they are about 6 inches across and 4 high), crates and tyres. The children quite often use other equipement like the commercial stepping stones or plastic classroom chairs with the legs removed ( which are placed upsidedown and the beams balanced across, these are also great for making slalom courses for scooters). I don't have a problem with combining natural and manmade resources, my playroom is already filled with a combination of both so seems a natural progression to do so in the garden. A lot of the equipment is recycled anyway and for the me the play value outweighs the aesthetics

thanks Max321...i have an idea of how i want it to look in my head but finding it difficult to create in reality. Our garden is a very natural area overlooking open fields and surrounded by a 200 year old wall and trees. I really want to try and keep that feeling of 'child in the woods' going if i can but i am beginning to feel that i may be chasing a dream too far! :o I guess after waiting for this building for 10 years i may be being somwhat idealistic xD

• 2 weeks later...

just a suggestion as so many others have suggested lots already but if you find a peice of equipment you like ,is there a parent or local business or skilled person that could make or recreate for you at a fraction of the price?? we did this with a multi purpose frame incorporating threading , chalkboard, perspexboard on wheels ,retail it was £300 but got it made for only £100.

By the way tyres are natural - made of rubber - everywhere in the environment and by reusing are doing good for the environment too !:) and crates really do create so much fun and ideas, ours get used for everything from trains to homes to sculptures with sticks etc

How about some wooden step ladders

When my girls became too big for their Ikea wooden loft beds I took the ladders in and they have been very popular. One we kept long the other sawn in half for 2 short lengths. Our local nature reserve sells logs in bags from their tree management felling for stoves but they made a great log pile for minibeasts at £2 a bag. I also asked for some slices from larger trees. Try contacting a local tree surgeon because they need to dispose of any tree they fell. When we trimmed a silver birch tree in our garden hubby sliced a few branches into inch long pieces and they are a popular addition to our small constuction.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)