Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Walking Licences

I have a number of over-eights whom I am keen to help manage the risk of walking to and from school. Last year I helped a nine-year-old to show me that she could walk on ahead, (she was already walking independently in the family setting).and this year she is now independent. I did lots of observations, quizzes, agreements and asked the parents' opinion and permission and had them, the child and myself all sign to say they agreed and understood.

This year's boys want the independence, but seem neither aware of the risks, nor willing to do the work to prove to me that they are competent.

Problem is that my own eight year old is allowed to walk to and from school when I don't have minded children, and once a month has to walk himself to meet me at an activity (10 minute walk away). A lot of training went into this and seems to have been a positive move.

It seems to the other boys that it's unfair that they can't have that freedom.

My question really is, do other childminders/out of school clubs have a teaching and observation regime, and do they issue any sort of licence that shows that training and assessment of competence has occurred and that the child is capable of managing their risk? Or would you just never do it?

Thanks for reading this - it does seem very wordy,

Honey

Hi , I work in Preschool but having read your post wanted to commend you as I think it is a fab idea and excellent way of promoting safety and risk management as well as skills for independence, i think schools should do this and pass these ideas onto parents, well done you !

I live a stones throw from my son school and although he usually walks in morning i collect after school because i want to and he does too ( he is 10) but I know many parents who will not allow it, but something like this would give the parents a way of assessing their child .

Edited by lashes2508

Thanks Lashes.

Everything about it makes me think it's a good idea until I try to put it in action, then I lose faith in the safeguarding and insurance aspects. I was really hoping someone who already does this might share how much paperwork they do. As a parent I'm much more confident letting my child go than the minded children. I actually trust my own children more than most of my minded ones.

There are schools in the next county that actively encourages children to walk independently from half-way through year 4. Am waiting on some response from there to see what they do. But then the children are only their responsibility when they arrive there. Complicated!!

Perplexed,

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)