Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eal Help

Hi

I have for the first time in my class 4 EAL children and want to make some simple assessments to find out what basic words they know and/or understand as all sets of parents speak very little English, so just want to make sure Im supporting them best I can while I wait (what seems like forever) for support from outside agencies. I just wondered if anyone knows where I can get hold of some simple everyday pictures e.g. chair, coat etc, it not I'll just make themself.

Any help would be great!

Thanks xx

Talking topic boxes are great idea , fill a box with objects , 9 pieces or pictures of furniture , encourage child to use skills in their first language, develop the transfer in english , helps understanding , also remember to be aware of cultural differences ( some cultures do not encourage eye contact ) there are different topics for language - survival language- hello , good bye etc , myself - name, family teacher etc, action- run , walk etc

childre with eal also tend to lose concentration or seem not to focus especially in group/ circle time as they do not understand the language , it is not unusual for a child with eal to not use much language as they have a period of just listening .

As for resources try www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk or pics.tech4learning.com

I have a list but cannot scan in - hope that has been some use to you

I am going to move this for you into another forum area.

Remember a child with EAL will be acquiring English in much the same way as a baby learns to speak in the mother tongue. They will understand before they can talk to you.

the cbeebies site has some lovely resources....pictures which you can download and use for visual prompts etc. Lots of usefull words like toilets etc. Each one contains a picture of the object/word, a drawing of the object, and the makaton sign for the item.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cbeebi...1E7&first=0

hopefully this might get you to the right place!

Thanks so much for all your help, my children speak Polish, Kurdish and Manderin. I'll have a look at the websites and love the topic box idea.

Thanks so much for all your help, my children speak Polish, Kurdish and Manderin. I'll have a look at the websites and love the topic box idea.

you're welcome isnt that why we are all here to help each other...

this I think is the better link you click on the piccie word you want and the card will come up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/something-sp...-printsigns/all

have fun

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)