Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cochlea Implant Child Starting School

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi everyone

I have heard that a little boy will be starting school with cochlea implants and was seeking advice on information,websites I could read up onwhat I will need to put into place for him.

thanks

Guest tinkerbell

Probably Susan.We only heard from the Lea that he had applied this week and

the teacher for the hearing impaired is coming in this week to talk to the HT who is also the SENco.

The child hasn't been accepted yet (20th April admission s allocated) but he probably will get in to our school a he is in the next village.I like to be prepared though and have sensible and relevant questions to make transition sessions run smoothly.Also we are getting a new classroom built and I have already asked about acoustics and hearing loops :o

thanks Tinkerbell

It will be good once you have more information to see what hearing loss the child has and what difference the cochlear implant has made. This will then help you to know what you need to provide. Eg if the child signs, you might want to learn some basic BSL.

National Deaf Children's Society (NDCS) has really good information on understanding deafness.

One thing I realised when I started working with deaf children was that deaf children don't access language in play situations in the way hearing children do. As a result you might need to have more short structured language sessions (you will be advised on this dependent on the hearing needs), which may not be what you are used to providing.

You may also find that loud noises or noisy spaces are disturbing for this child.

But once you have a clearer picture of this cilds needs, it will be easier to know what you need Do let us know.

We had a child with a cochlear implant in school but he was older so I don't know what differences a more playbased provision will have. We were told things like avoiding background noise, not moving around too much while talking, looking at him when talking, different ways to attract his attention in the playground (e.g. a kind of 'whistle buddy') were messages we were given.

We had lots of support from our LA Deaf Awareness team though - they were great.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)