Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Workshops

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year to you all :o

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I have previously run parent workshops focusing on aspects of interacting with your child, active learning, communication etc. which I have run during the evening and only attracted a few parents. However, I have secured a room at the local surestart centre to run these during the day (when children are attending pre-school, so no worries over childcare...that's my idea anyway!). Just wondered if anyone has ideas for marketing it to parents, think the 'parent workshop' bit is off putting, need something like 'chat and chill' rather than giving them the idea of working! xD

My local CC runs sessions called 'Tea and Talk' which sounds very similar to what are you are suggesting. they are well attended and are very informal with a theme each session. Good luck with yours

We used to run our workshops to encourage the parents to play with the children rather than something for them without their children. Therefore we ran them in session time. We did them for the first part of the session once they arrived and initially said it would be just half an hour..they gradually extended to an hour or more. Ive seen this way of doing work very well in settings that I support too, and the parents really like them. The children love it too when they get to 'show' their parents what they can do with the playdough or paint! Is this something you would consider?

the occasional ones we did were more a stay and play style, with a short chat either at beginning or end, or both and then in with the children to actually do the interacting..

If you tell me I will forget...

If you show me I will remember...

If you involve me I will understand..

thanks for your views, have decided to go with the 'chat and chill' idea and then follow up with opportunities for stay and play sessions during each week after Easter. Have promoted stay and play sessions before, but not much uptake because so many working parents. How things have changed in the 13 years I have been involved in early years!..most parents leading very busy lives and just want to drop off/collect their child.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)