Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Ratio

we are starting afternoon sessions this year and at the momment we will be running them at a loss, i was wondering how many staff we need to have in as we only have 8 children one day and 12 another. without looking it up i am sure it says in the EYfS standards that a minimum of 2 members of staff? but if a member of staff had an emergancy during the session and had to leave it would just leave 1? any help much appreciated thanks

You are correct, minimum is 2 needed..

We used to have 2 staff for up to 10 then had 3 for over .. and had a member of staff 'on call' for an emergency, or a committee member if it was such an emergency we felt any adult able to get to us was better than none..

not ideal, but legal and all we could afford..

Same as Inge, we have 2 members of staff for up to 12 children (with up to 4 two year olds in that ratio), with member of staff on call, though there is often somebody in the office either as administrator or doing keyperson or admin time to call on. If push came to shove we could ring the school to borrow a TA until the member of staff arrived to cover.

As Inge says, not ideal but legal and all we can afford at certain times.

I presume the children are over 3? 2 staff are fine then. I don't think you can pay someone else just incase there was an emergency. The person in charge would just have to overcome any hurdles as needed.

We have 2 year olds in the afternoon and with 8 to 10 of them 3 staff are normally running round in circles.