Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kindle On Laptop

Rea

I was mooching around on Amazon and saw that you can download kindle to your PC or laptop, so I thought 'why not?' Download was so quick and it came with 3 books. I'd never thought about having a Kindle but as it was free and quick and novel I did it, only to discover from hubby that my 18 yr old son has bought me one for Christmas. :o

Apart from being an awful lot of money and far too much to spend I dont really want one that badly and obviously dont need one anyway, I feel terrible xD

I too thought I would not use it or did not need a kindle, but now carry it in my handbag and always have a book to read when stuck waiting somewhere..

and I too have it on the pc but find the light and screen makes it more tiring to read than on a kindle, something to do with the screen not being backlit makes it easier to read.

You can have all the books on both so enjoy your gift as an added extra .. they have changed recently to smaller and lighter than the one I carry, and if you decide you need a case or cover use ebay, great deals on there for them, got cover and light for a fiver for mine.

While we are all happy with a token or small gift it has obviously been thought about and planned for a while, so enjoy..

I love my kindle!!!! bought in August for my birthday. I spend hours walking with the dogs and head to favourite places with a flask to read. It fits beautifully in my dog walking bag with leads,dogs water, poo bags, gloves,hats etc No more damp pages or wrestling with the wind to turn a page to have it rip. When its time to stop reading you just switch it back on and your back where you stopped. LOVED it in the lighter mornings when I could read for 15mins while the dogs chased rabbits :o sat on a hillside before work....blisss. Used it in hospital waiting rooms, dentist etc

Not sure I could do that with a laptop

Currently reading Harry Potter order of the Phonix and working my way (again) through the full set. (yes I know its not available on amazon )

Ooooooh I got one for my birthday and thought the same as you - why would I want this !/ dont think I will use it ...... BUT now I love , love , love it ! Its much more compact than you think so very easy to carry in a handbag ( even a smallish bag ) , great for recipe books ( you can even quickly look them up whilst in supermarket for ingredients !) and lots of other things as well - I am a convert . Cant wait to take it on holiday as will be able to load it up before I go and not be lumbered with filling my suitcase with paperbacks .

I wouldn't feel too badly Rea. The experience of reading a kindle properly rather than the PC kindle (which I've also got) is entirely different. The Kindle is a really wonderful dedicated piece of equipment which in many ways is more enjoyable than a book (eg a big heavy hardback).

Also, when you get the kindle you can set it up to have the same books available on it as you have on your PC, giving you the option of reading wherever you feel most comfortable. :o

I had my kindle last christmas...it is fantastic!

Always been a bit of a book addict but although I'd been curious had felt I probably wouldnt enjoy it as much as a real book but really it is so convenient ..and you can even customise it!.

I still buy all my preschool reference books in paperback as the kindle is black and white (and I want to see the colour photos!) but for novels and books that just contain text the kindle is perfect.

I now have it on PC too but rarely read on there - doesnt feel the same at all and it is harder on the eyes as others have said.

I do think I buy more books now I have a kindle though...probably because you dont see the books piling up anymore and so dont feel so guilty about it :o

I am a kindle addict and carry it everywhere, hairdressers, dentist, doctors waiting room, bus stop, you name it I take it there. I bought mine as I wanted to read all the classics I hated as a child and most of these out of copyright and are therefore free for the kindle. I have enjoyed Bronte, Austen, Dickens, Jules Verne, Mark Twain, et al and nearly all are better this time around! I use the Gutenberg Project site as well as amazon as they have 36,000 free books for downloading.

I too had bookshelves full to bursting and was given a surprise gift of a kindle earlier this year and couldn't live without it! It is without doubt one of the best presents I have ever received and yet not something I would have chosen as being on my 'I wish.. list'.

I do still read books sometimes but my kindle goes everywhere with me in my handbag and some of my books simply wouldn't fit.

Rea I can totally empathise with you feeling terrible about the money your son has spent especially on something you feel you don't need. I am in the same position over something I have heard my eldest son has bought for me but I really think it's a case of being grateful for the thought and love the present comes with. My son spent far more than I would like him to but that was entirely his choice, he can afford to do it and did it truly believing I would like the gift so it will be smiles and thankyous here and maybe I will use it after all who knows!!!

Thanks everyone. Hubby had it wrong (there's a surprise xD ) He hadnt bought it yet so hubby told him what I can do on my laptop and so he's changed his mind. I know its a wonderful thing for him to want to do but really the money for a lad on jobseekers is too much so I'm glad now that he wont be buying it, although after reading everyones comments about the merits of a kindle I kinda wish I was having one now :o

I need some new pyjamers though :(