Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Can I Help A Child With Colour Recognition

Hello - I am hoping that someone can suggest some good ideas on helping a child with colour recognition. She is presently naming all colours 'red'; however, she can match red, blue, green and yellow. :o

Any ideas?

same as Rea, I had one child who named all colours white but knew them and was able to give me the correct colour item, just when it came to telling me her confidence at getting it right went and so it was easier for them all to be white.. worked it out once her confidence grew she automatically named them correctly..she just didn't like being put on the spot.

In my experience, the order of development seems to be - ability to differentiate/match colours, able to pick out the colour you name, able to tell you the name of a chosen (by you) colour. It sounds like this one is at the middle stage. Have you tried casually saying things like 'Could you just pass me that blue brick please?' so it's not a pressured 'test' situation? Or during tidying ask them to only pick up a particular colour brick/bead etc Once they can securely pick out colours like that then you can move on to naming the colours. As has already been said, model it yourself too 'I'm going to use this blue pencil, I see you have the yellow one.' Maybe say the wrong one to see if they react :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)