Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activities For Older Children

Hi

Some of my parent questionnaires are coming back that the older children especially the boys are bored at club. Can anyone tell me of useful websites for ideas, games, etc for me to give to staff to look at?

Thanks

Hi

They are 3 - 11 years but would say from 8 up. We have use of outside playground (but getting dark early) and a classroom and library.

Not sure if that helps???

how about torch football...they have to make a head torch (cheap ones available from asda etc) then have a game in the dark...could be fun. Duster hockey used to be fun too tie a balloon to the ankle of the team member make a hockey stick from newspaper and then the aim is to be the last with your balloon not popped (you get disqualified for hitting people!!)...is this the sort of thing or too much to supervise?? do you need the activities to cover all the age group?

I think to start off with physical games for the boys would be very much appreciated and I love the ones Finleysmaid has already suggested, do you know anyone who runs Beavers or Cubs, I'm sure they would have some excellent suggestions.

The boys themselves, if they are saying they are bored may have their own suggestions of course, as to what they want to do maybe a big pow wow with them might bring forth some ideas your team can work with. Could the club afford some security lights to be put up outside so that the outside playground might be lit up for extra play. I have 3 boys and a very large garden, we used to put the security lights on they loved it, still played football outside til they dropped!

I don't mean to state the obvious - but have you asked the children what they like to do? At holiday club we only had a couple that were older than 8 and when I asked one what he liked to do and he said dot-to-dots so I googled Halloween dot-to-dot (cos it was Halloween!!) and got LOADS!

Ours like to be outside. End of really! We got some torches with some funding - there are 5 or 6 on a rechargable stand. They absolutely adore them! They play all sorts with them - detectives, cops and robbers, making shadows, light tag (they have to shine a light on someone to make them 'it')

We also got sudoku, word searches and crosswords but tbh it's the younger ones that like them.

indoor activities ...woodwork (make a simple boat/box etc) and using low temp hot glue guns...anything with a bit of danger!! duck/duck goose for the whole group might work also....our 4 year olds are addicted!! also stuck in the mud ...i think the outside is definately easier to plan for!

Thanks guys..you lot are stars .....some great ideas there! Going to see the head about lights for outside as there are some but not enough and some dont work at all!!

I have several very active boys after school. Fortunately I have quite a lot of outdoor area, but that becomes less available during the winter months. Last year I commandeered the cul-de-sac for outdoor running around sessions - Risk assessed and had all parents sign - so we could all have a good run around.

This year I'd like to be getting some indoor basketball hoops. Mine really want some competition. What about a Wii with multiple handsets (and an timer!)? Bingo? Duck, duck, goose? Love you to share what works.

Cheers, Honey.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jenpercy

Crab football played upside down on hands and feet. That sounds odd. I mean sit on floor, put hands down and then raise on all fours.

Dogs and their owners (if you can stand the noise) Get together in pairs. One is the dog and chooses a name. dogs are then blindfolded. Owners go to the other end of the room, mingle and then call their dogs who have to find them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)