Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Care To Learn

I've been asked to provide a Care to Learn placement... I've not done one before and have only been given (at this stage) a brief outline of the circumstances.

I've read up on the scheme on DirectGov and am just wondering if anyone has thoughts and experiences that they'd be willing to share?

My Network Co-ordinator is bringing the mum-to-be to meet me tomorrow morning and I just want to be prepared. My initial reaction was "yes, please!" as who can resist a less than 6 week old baby :o but family and friends are urging caution - knowing how attached I'll get (probably to both Mum and baby) and I feel I need to know how others have got on.

Thanks!

Nona

I've been asked to provide a Care to Learn placement... I've not done one before and have only been given (at this stage) a brief outline of the circumstances.

I've read up on the scheme on DirectGov and am just wondering if anyone has thoughts and experiences that they'd be willing to share?

My Network Co-ordinator is bringing the mum-to-be to meet me tomorrow morning and I just want to be prepared. My initial reaction was "yes, please!" as who can resist a less than 6 week old baby :o but family and friends are urging caution - knowing how attached I'll get (probably to both Mum and baby) and I feel I need to know how others have got on.

Thanks!

Nona

I would urge some caution as I have worked with the care to learn system and they do sometimes keep you waiting for your money. You have to complete their own forms and make sure you dot every I and cross every T. When you change your rates (ie give yourself a pay rise). They need a lot of notice - again on their forms. So be careful.

Thanks!!

I'd wondered about that aspect of it having experienced the same problem with a college student. It appears that they pay in arrears? I can also, apparently, charge a "booking fee" and a deposit which may go some way to off-setting any delay in payment... so much to think about :o

Nona

I don't know about this particular system but last year I was paid by a college for a student who needed childcare and I was really impressed by how efficient they were. They new about notice, were willing to pay for holidays even though I wasn't available (I didn't take them up on it), and they fixed my mistakes which would have been in my favour (I hate doing accounts).

Mum is now at University and there has been some trouble with making a quote prior to the start of university year but sorted now. It seems that they really just want to know how much they will be up for.

I had to change my billing system for them but worth it in the end.

Enjoy that baby.

Honey.

• 3 months later...

I'm SO excited ! :o

The gorgeous baby starts tomorrow, he's now 8 weeks old and Mum is quite looking forward to returning to school, getting her qualifications and going on to college.

All paperwork has been completed and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the payment delays won't be as long as some have experienced.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Nona

That's reassuring, thanks! All agreements say that days and hours are the same week in week out which should minimise any changes - hopefully!

We've had a fabulous first day,he's a real sweetheart.

:o Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)