Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Call For Evidence For Qualifications

Inge

cannot find this on here..apologies if it has been posted before or is in the wrong place...

Professor Cathy Nutbrown has been asked by the Minister of State for Children and Families, Sarah Teather MP, to conduct an independent review into qualifications in the early education and childcare sector. As a first step in her review, Professor Nutbrown would like to hear the views of parents and families, and all those involved in the delivery of early education and childcare. Please help by responding to the consultation questions.

Consultation to be found here

so want a say.. now is the time...

As it's late I haven't done the consultation but I have read the consultation document and I noticed this

The Review will not consider wider issues of pay and conditions.

•The training and qualifications of teachers, children's health workers, playworkers and social workers are beyond the scope of the review having been looked at extensively elsewhere.

WHERE? I MUST HAVE MISSED THIS ONE :o

On a more serious note will actually get round to the consulation response tomorrow and email out link to staff team - especially as I have three staff either just completed or coming close to completing new level 3 diploma.

yes i read that bit too.. did not stop me telling them though as it is often the reason behind so much in early years qualifications / training issues..

just felt that I too I must have missed something in the second statement.. but then early years are not mentioned in that either!

Please fill in the consultation.. it is as Nona said quite therapeutic!

• 1 month later...

Hi Inge FYI from Nurseryworld publication in Nov:-

Nutbrown Review gives qualifications stay of execution

Karen Faux, 09 November 2011, 12:08pm

Plans to rationalise the sector's 361 early years qualifications have been put on hold by the Children's Workforce Development Council in the light of the Nutbrown Review .

Qualifications deemed full and relevant on the CWDC Qualifications List will now be available to new learners beyond spring 2012, creating further uncertainties around the status of the new Level 2 and 3 Diplomas for the Children and Young People’s Workforce, intended to be the sole full qualifications at these levels.

The move comes in support of the Government’s review of early years qualifications, led by Professor Cathy Nutbrown. A statement about any future cut-off dates will be made in the Government’s response to the Nutbrown Review, which is expected to be published in summer 2012.

Although CWDC has done a lot of work around rationalising qualifications in recent years, the sector remains confused about which qualifications are still available to study and about the value of legacy qualifications. Under the postponement, the Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education will continue to be available, along with the Level 4 in Children’s Care, Learning and Development.

The extended Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce was recently launched by CACHE as a two-year, college-based course for younger learners. However, it has yet to be confirmed whether it will be awarded UCAS points and provide a bridge to degree-level study.

Meanwhile, Edexcel is unveiling its new Level 3 BTEC National in Children’s Play, Learning and Development, available to be taught in September 2012. Developed with the help of author and early years consultant Penny Tassoni, this will carry 180 credits, subject to accreditation by Ofqual.

Widely supported by employers such as Bright Horizons and organisations such as Montessori and Steiner, Edexcel says this is designed to meet the rigorous standards which are the focus of the Nutbrown Review.

Edexcel is hosting launch events throughout November to inform colleges about how the qualification works in practice through its specifications, assessment materials and resources.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)