Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Basic Skills In Nursery

We have been working on a list of Basic Skills in each year group in school. I have done a draft list for Nursery and wondered what people think. This is the MINIMUM we would like the children to achieve....obviously SEN might be different.

Any thoughts?????

humm ...i have a bit of a problem with this list because it is not inclusive and this may be deemed as a problem.What happens if a child does not speak english as their first language? will you accept that they can count in their home language. If a child is small (and you are talking mainly 4 year olds here) they will not be able to wipe their own bottoms...they just dont have the reach! I worry about lists like this are we setting up our children as failures from the start? what happens if they are unable to fulfill all the items on your list?

I realise you have probably been asked to do this but it isnt very 'smart' targetted, so for instance how long do you want them to sit for? etc etc.

(sorry this sounds a bit negative...just my point of view :o )

Thank you for your comments! yes we have been asked to do it.

Can understand your point of view. But we were hoping to help all members of staff understand the basic minimun skills that different age groups need. A year 6 teacher might not have any understanding of the level that Nursery children come in at...unless we show them. The list is a way to focus all our minds on some of the key things that we are there to support. I know we have the DMs but I don't want to rewrite those! And also we can get bogged down in seeing children as lots of statements rather than whole little people.

As far as the toilet thing is concerned, we do regard it as part of our job to support children with wiping so that when they leave us and go into Reception, they are independant at it, cos it's unlikely one teacher and one TA can sort things like this out with 30 children on a regular basis.

All valuable comments though.

Thanks x

I remember being told to do something similar a few years back, and the expectations all came from those higher up the school.

My thinking about your list, dreamgirl is that some things on your list are actually ELGS and are within points 4-8 on the EYFSP (eg counting to10). So I wouldn't make them requirements for the nursery year. That's a bit like saying you expect year 2 children to achieve things you would usually teach in year 3. Its really important if you want to do such a checklist of 'minimums' that they are realistic for nursery age children and not expectations for the end of reception.

Could you focus more on the PSED and communication side of skills?

Good point about the counting to 10 although I think that rote counting is easier than recognizing numbers 1-5. Good point about the other 2. Will add something like

"Use language with peers and adults during play."

"Enjoy coming to Nursery"

Can you not start to look at the skills shown in the draft EYFS - the expected band for example ARE the future expectations for basic skills in F2 before they go to yr1 and the 36 - 48 band would be the minimum for end of nursery - I don't see why you would want to reinvent a wheel that's been done for you and links to developmental national expectations and your curriculum!

How will you assess the skill set of children who are not yet getting your minimums? How will you know how well they are doing or will they just be the ones who aren't? You'll still need the EYFS to tell you what their competencies are!!

cx

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)