Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Charging?

Have a child who comes to us two full days a week, but mum has now enrolled the child into a gym club on one of those days. Her friend comes to collect the child and whisks him away to the club for a couple of hours, before returning him to us. This is quite disruptive, as you can imagine, but....................... do I still charge the parents for the full day, or just the hours actually attended ( he's not on FE yet)? My gut instinct says to charge as usual, ie, for the full day, but I want to be prepared for any 'discussion' that might ensue from this. Of course, I will tell mum that it means another child can't have the space; we have to be back by a particular time if we go out etc, child missing out on what we're doing............what would you do?

what does your policy say about things like this... would probably come under the bit about paying even if the child was ill or on holiday, same principal applies...

I don't know your attendance or waiting list but I would charge... if parent was not happy they could always try to find someone who is willing to split a day like this but very much doubt if they will find one.

does your waiting list have someone who could take the full hours so you can show that if they are unwilling to pay you need to fill the space so they will lose part of the day.

as well you need to return by a particular time if you go out perhaps suggest you cannot always guarantee to be back by a certain time if you do go out, things may happen to slow you down or prevent return as planned as you don't want to rush the children.

I would definetly charge for all the reasons you have already said, it is the parents choice to remove that child for gym club and you have provided staff, activities, snacks etc for him during that session. I have 2 children at present who don't come into preschool until 10.30am and 11.00am but they are still charged from 9.30am as it is the parents choice to start at a later time. The only alternative would be to change his days so gym club doesn't clash with preschool.

Have a child who comes to us two full days a week, but mum has now enrolled the child into a gym club on one of those days. Her friend comes to collect the child and whisks him away to the club for a couple of hours, before returning him to us. This is quite disruptive, as you can imagine, but....................... do I still charge the parents for the full day, or just the hours actually attended ( he's not on FE yet)? My gut instinct says to charge as usual, ie, for the full day, but I want to be prepared for any 'discussion' that might ensue from this. Of course, I will tell mum that it means another child can't have the space; we have to be back by a particular time if we go out etc, child missing out on what we're doing............what would you do?

I think Narnia you should charge for a full session after all;

firstly you couldnt slot another child into this missing time but presumibly if the activity wasnt going ahead then the parents/carers would expect you to have them.

secondly if you dont you set a precedent....so each time someone has a few mins off to go to doctors, have hair cut....etc etc. you will be expected to work out the percentage of refund due.

We had a child in a similar situation; mum used to take her out for a dance class then bring her back. Never occured to me to not charge when she wasn't in the building and mum never asked for a refund.

I'd suggest, like others, that you charge the full day; it's mum's choice to take the child out. Same principal as if the child was going for a dr's, dentist or hospital appt etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)