Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floorbooks

Has anyone got any suggestions about the use of floorbooks for planning, recording and developing thinking skills with children. I haven't done this before and would like to have go. I have some idea how to start but hope some kind person on here has experience I could learn from.

Well it seems they are like a blank big book and you work with groups of children mind-mapping and talking and planning and using them to record children's ideas and thinking. Floor baooks because you sit around them and record in them on the floor. I have seen a book in the Mindstretchers catalogue. I wanted to see if someone had used this technique and how they went about it. We are focusing on thinking skills this year and i thought they sounded like a good idea, but where do I start exactly?

Had decided to try and focus more on thinking skills myself. Do like the idea of a floorbook - would work wonders for tracking children's thoughts - especially as evidence too.

I've actually also decided to have a go at using (in a very diluted fashion), Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats. Have set myself up a little display near my carpet area and will introduce them slowly - but actually breaking down thoughts into the six areas that he suggests sounds like a very practical way of doing things. It might make it easier for some children too to have their thoughts aided in specific ways. Very much like giving a tube to a child and getting them to tell you what they see in the viewfinder rather than simply just asking them to look without one - they often can't focus on such a massive amount of data - the tubing allows it be more focused and processable.

I think that is what the Six Thinking Hats would allow you to do with the children - break things down into manageable chunks that they can analyse from the different roles.

Hope that adds another suggestion to the floor!!!

D xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)