Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Renting Halls

We have the opportunity to rent out the pre-school hall for parties etc and i have been approached by a couple of parents asking how much etc. but i am a bit concerned about insurance etc. Does anyone know if we need more insurance if we are hiring to a 3rd party? (PSLA have been very unhelpful and conflicting advice seems to be the name of the game!) :o

Sorry I can't actually answer your question about insurance etc..... but I would be very wary about hiring out your space- especially if you have sole use yourself.

In my experience, other peoples ideas/expectations when it comes to cleaning-up and respecting other peoples property when hiring it sometimes leaves a lot to the imagination!!!!

xxxxx

Don't know, but would have thought it makes sense do you own the hall? or are the owners asking you to offer it out? You could add insurance as a one off maybe and add it to your hire price.

I would have thought one of the problems in hiring out the hall would be the cleaning up afterwards making it ready for your use, we sometimes get that problem when ours has been let out, not quite clean enough and nothing where you expect to find it, - so somebody would have to act as "caretaker".

Also you would need to know what the by-laws in the area are - music or loud noise after a certain time, whether alcohol or not could be consumed (we would definitely not be allowed alcohol) :o

ok most of these issues we have already dealt with (thanks for the replies...it always help to think things through)...our cleaners are available to clean after the events and we can charge a deposit to put people off from bad behaviour!! (we have 2 local halls that are fully booked most of the time so there is a market . We have sole use and the ability to sub let (agreed in our lease). AS to noise there is an 11 o clock curfew but mostly i am being asked for childrens party hire so that shouldn't be an issue. Licencing is fine (i used to be a licence holder and my husband still is one so know the rules about this...we can apply online for temporary licences if we need.) its really the insurance that is concerning me as we have public liability but is this all i need if i hire it our or do i need some kind of additional cover? :o

I think the answer would be to get a separate insurance from another source, just to be on the safe side, and recoup payment of it from hiring out the hall. That way you would be dealing with hiring the hall out for parties as a separate business from the pre school.