Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Robots

Oh my gosh....As a whole school topic next term, for the first two weeks we are looking at the book 'The Iron Man' by Ted Hughes. Where oh where do i go with this for my very young reception class. The opening bit is antastic, describing the iron man, the rest is going to be just far too hard for them to understand. So i guess I am heading down the robots route. Two weeks on robots....what can i do?????

The obvious making robots in creative area...but writing? Maths? My mind is baffled. What books are their out there to do with robots? what other creative stuff can i do with them? Any ideas would be hugely welcomed xxxx

Oh my gosh....As a whole school topic next term, for the first two weeks we are looking at the book 'The Iron Man' by Ted Hughes. Where oh where do i go with this for my very young reception class. The opening bit is antastic, describing the iron man, the rest is going to be just far too hard for them to understand. So i guess I am heading down the robots route. Two weeks on robots....what can i do?????

The obvious making robots in creative area...but writing? Maths? My mind is baffled. What books are their out there to do with robots? what other creative stuff can i do with them? Any ideas would be hugely welcomed xxxx

What about the Pixar film called Robots, or there was a BBC programme all about Robots for young children a while back, may be able to google something up, these two may give you some ideas.

The children may be able to act out being a robot if you model "control" questions . Do you have any beebots? or floor roamers? Harry and the Dinosaurs has Gran being ill in the story and Harry builds specific robots to help her when she is in hospital. Change the words of a number song to match your theme and teach the children, we quite often tailor make that type of thing. Could they write instructions to work their robot they have made, or label the buttons they put on their model.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/littlerobots/

Edited by Panders

how about a song ?

Tune - I'm a little teapot

I'm a little robot short and square

they got no teeth and got no hair

but when you want the answer to your sums

push my buttons and out it comes

using instruments to mnake different robot noises and sounds

making robot pictures out of different shapes

robot stuff here -http://belindamooney.suite101.com/make-a-robot-lotto-game-a2696

http://www.everythingpreschool.com/themes/robots/index.htm

building robots out of lego / duplo

have you any bee bots or similar ?

Harry and the Robots -ian wyebrow

ah thankyou girls, there are some great ideas there to get me started. I'm really struggling to be inspired but your ideas are defo getting me motivated. Thankyou very much xx

have you got the 'little book of dance' (sally featherstone publications) it has a cd in it which has a track called dot dot dash (i think) and another track which are great for robot dancing. Also have you tried the machine game...this is where one person makes a noise and an action and then the next joins in, conecting to the first and making a different noise then the third joins in etc etc until you have an all singing all dancing machine to make a robot!!

I was going to suggest Harry and the Robots too - my class really like that story!

If you look at www.iboard.co.uk (that may not work as I'm rubbish at links!) in the phonics section there are various robot based games.

You could do some 3D collage work to make a robot face.

Lots of shape work possibilities to design the front panel of a robot?

Could you explore the different materials you might use to make a robot?

Could you do some teamwork/problem solving things linked to the idea that robots are often used to go where people can't? Can't think of a specific example but along the lines of how to get across the shark infested river!

From a music point of view could you get them to put together a sequence of sounds to tell a robot story (we did this today for dinosaurs and it was pretty effective) e.g steady beat for walking, ringing sound for task completed etc.

Can't think for the dance one - not my strongest point! Will keep pondering...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)