Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help :( Cont. Provision

Hi, I am new to Year 1 and continuous provision..

I know i am not implementing cont provision actually, like the tasks/challenges etc and i feel like i am sinking

Any ideas for cont. provision that have been really effective in your class (and engaging to children)? any area too? Anything anything?

Ill shut up before i sound pathetic

Thanks in advance

x

I'm a bit puzzled, Continuous Provision is what is always there. Your sand and water, cutting, writing, reading, jigsaws, small world etc. So you will be implementing it, perhaps not realising how much you can get out of it.

I've uploaded a plan that we use at Preschool, it's in the resources section somewhere. You'll see from this that you are doing these things and possibly where you can enhance things to promote some next steps

Continuous_Provision_plan_forum.doc

Hi thanks for that, thats really detailed

It was more like a list of activities for role play

i.e. make a pattern with the peg boards

write me a sentence using an adjective

(long term.. brain frazzled)

When I had Rec/Y1 mixed I had a little sign in each area which I could write on the 'challenge' for the week for the Y1s. They all had a laminated sheet with the areas of the classroom on which they ticked off when they had completed a challenge in each area. We would look at by end of the week to see how they had got on and we would also discuss at the end of each session. For example, when we were doing the 3 little pigs it included things like writing a letter to the big bad wolf in the writing area, making a strong house in the construction area, acting out the story in the role play area etc It did take a lot of modelling and encouragement to get going but worked well in the end.

When I had Rec/Y1 mixed I had a little sign in each area which I could write on the 'challenge' for the week for the Y1s. They all had a laminated sheet with the areas of the classroom on which they ticked off when they had completed a challenge in each area. We would look at by end of the week to see how they had got on and we would also discuss at the end of each session. For example, when we were doing the 3 little pigs it included things like writing a letter to the big bad wolf in the writing area, making a strong house in the construction area, acting out the story in the role play area etc It did take a lot of modelling and encouragement to get going but worked well in the end.

I really like the challenge idea and it is something I keep meaning to move towards (!). I have a question though - what do you do if your Y1s do/don't complete all the challenges? There is a huge divide in my class between those who will and those who won't. I have a couple of children who it's very hard to get to do anything at all, ever! I can't imagine them doing anything which felt like 'work' if they had any choice over it. They aren't particularly motivated by the rewards the others get for doing the 'right' thing/behaving well etc. Apparently it's my fault for not giving it to them, not theirs for not doing it in the first place!

I do need something similar though - I have at least one parent at the moment who is concerned that their child isn't doing 'enough work' with me.

I build up to challenges in CI time for my receptions. By the end of the year they are expected to complete 3 in a week which are carefully explained at the beginning of the week. I expect all children to have achieved them by the end of the week and the majority do but there will always be the odd couple who don't. The key to the challenges is to try to find things from their interests that they would love to do and then you don't have issues with them wanting to do it. I remember last year having an issue with boys not going to the creative table so when we had a superhero theme their challenge was to make a superhero (Ben 10!) watch and guess what? they all did. If by thursday I have children they have not done their challenges, I start reminding them and if they still havn't chosen to do the challenges then on Friday I go through the list and send them to the areas of the challenges at the start of their CI time.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)