Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Zoolab

Hi there

Has anyone had a visit from Zoolab - they rang me this afternoon about a visit - they are a mobile zoo who bring in mini beasts and snakes and other creepy crawlies to show the children - my feeling is it's a bit much for 2 year olds but I just wondered if anyone had ever booked a visit. I have looked on their website and it seems ok but I would rather hear from a trusted source - ie. other nurseries.

thank you

EJAB

I have been on the forum before but I couldn't remember my login or user name or anything so have had to create a new one!!

:(:(xD:o

Hi we used Zoolab about 2 years ago. They use local people to come to your setting but they are based up in Scotland. Our particular person was late arriving, but once there engaged children well enough, as the creatures were her own personal pets she was enthusiastic about them and knowledgeable the children were allowed to touch rather than hold she brought along African Land Snail, huge cockroach, tarantula and a white rabbit. Whilst it was a good experience just felt it was a little expensive but I didn't charge any extra of the parents for this, if I did it again, maybe I would. Will look out the book we made of the visit and see if I can download it.

Hi Ejab -

There have been quite a few discussions about Zoolab over the years, so I've just linked you to some of the search results for them - here.

I've also moved your post to a more appropriate forum area. If you can remember any of your account details just let me know and I'll delete one of your accounts as otherwise you'll get duplicate emails for things like newsletters, which might become irritating. :o

Hi we used Zoolab about 2 years ago. They use local people to come to your setting but they are based up in Scotland. Our particular person was late arriving, but once there engaged children well enough, as the creatures were her own personal pets she was enthusiastic about them and knowledgeable the children were allowed to touch rather than hold she brought along African Land Snail, huge cockroach, tarantula and a white rabbit. Whilst it was a good experience just felt it was a little expensive but I didn't charge any extra of the parents for this, if I did it again, maybe I would. Will look out the book we made of the visit and see if I can download it.

Hi Panders xD Thanks for that - was the tarantula a bit scary for the younger ones (it would scare me :o ) - also do you think it's a bit of a lottery regarding who comes to visit? Did you check crbs? I was wondering about charging parents as it does seem expensive.

EJAB :(

Hi Ejab -

There have been quite a few discussions about Zoolab over the years, so I've just linked you to some of the search results for them - here.

I've also moved your post to a more appropriate forum area. If you can remember any of your account details just let me know and I'll delete one of your accounts as otherwise you'll get duplicate emails for things like newsletters, which might become irritating. :o

Hi steve

I think my other username was quackers (possibly) but can't get any further than that - sorry - thanks for moving my post - am really hopeless at this!! xD

We have use Zoolab once and all the children & staff really enjoyed it HOWEVER, they were booked for our end of term summer treat to all the children and didn't turn up!! After numerous phone calls they admitted that they weren't coming so very angry me and very disapointed staff and children!! :o

Kris

Hi Panders :( Thanks for that - was the tarantula a bit scary for the younger ones (it would scare me :o ) - also do you think it's a bit of a lottery regarding who comes to visit? Did you check crbs? I was wondering about charging parents as it does seem expensive.

EJAB :(

To be honest I don't remember about the CRB she was never alone with the children as we all sat together as you can see from the photographs and she came from about 30 miles away from our pre-school - there was certainly some paperwork and an evaluation which I did for ZOOLAB. It was in 2009 so old grey cells not so great now xD Some of the children did not want to see all of the creatures and she kept some of them in a tank for them to look at through the 'glass' I should think if we had said please don't bring in your spider, she would have left it in the van.

Wriggly_Road_Show.doc

page_2_and_3_Wriggly_Show.doc

Hi ejab -

I think I've got your other account. Would there have been any puddles at your nursery? If I'm correct would you like me to delete your previous account (which had 13 posts) or delete this one and send you details of your previous account?

To be honest I don't remember about the CRB she was never alone with the children as we all sat together as you can see from the photographs and she came from about 30 miles away from our pre-school - there was certainly some paperwork and an evaluation which I did for ZOOLAB. It was in 2009 so old grey cells not so great now :o Some of the children did not want to see all of the creatures and she kept some of them in a tank for them to look at through the 'glass' I should think if we had said please don't bring in your spider, she would have left it in the van.

Hi Panders

Photos are lovely and have been very helpful - thank you and glad that some of the creatures were kept in the tank. Think we may give it a go. Not sure about the spider though - don't know whether my acting is up to not showing that I really want to scream and run away!! xD

Hi ejab -

I think I've got your other account. Would there have been any puddles at your nursery? If I'm correct would you like me to delete your previous account (which had 13 posts) or delete this one and send you details of your previous account?

Hi Steve

We do indeed have lots of puddles - will probably keep this account but bit worried about the 13 posts cos can't remember that many! xD:o

We have use Zoolab once and all the children & staff really enjoyed it HOWEVER, they were booked for our end of term summer treat to all the children and didn't turn up!! After numerous phone calls they admitted that they weren't coming so very angry me and very disapointed staff and children!! xD

Kris

Hi Kris

Poor you - there have been a couple of people who have said this so will keep this in mind. :o

We've used Zoolab lots, it's brilliant, the children love it and the people who come are very knowledgeable and engaging; might seem expensive but imo definitely worth the money!

We have them in every year and they're brilliant. It's been a different person each time and they've all been very good (and on time!)

Some of the animals they're brought are: corn snake, tarantula, giant millipede, giant land snail, tree frog, rat, big beetley thing (can't remember what it was)... erm I'm sure there were others but I can't think.

In my experience it has the adults who are scared of some of the animals, not the children but on the rare occasion that a child has been scared they have dealt with it very sensitively, allowing the child to look from a distance and explaining facts about the animals (e.g. they would only hurt someone if they were scared so if you are kind to them they will be kind to you) and in some cases the child has decided after watching everyone else have a stroke that they will have a go too!

the only animal that we ever not been allowed to touch was some sort of tarantula type thing and that was because the tiny hairs on its legs can fall out and irritate your skin. The children (and staff!) have been allowed to look at, touch, stroke or hold every other animal if they wanted to.

It sounds like there is a bit of 'luck of the draw' but we've always been very pleased and I would definitely recommend them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)