Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Access To Records

Could anyone clarify for me if parents should be able to access ALL info on their child? I am thinking about the development matters grids - we are considering doing one grid per key person with all of their key children noted, but obviously if we have to have this accessible to parents then each child needs a grid each?

Sorry if this not very clear!

Sandie

I believe that accessible doesn't mean freely available - as long as they are provided when requested. This might mean blanking off details for other children and photocopying only those areas relevant to their child.....

If a parents asks to see records they should be made availble - doesn't mean that they have to be produced at that exact moment .....

That's my take on it anyway.

I agree with the above post from mps09 - they can be made availabel should they be requested - this doens't mean immediately

But do you want to go to the effort of photocopying records and blanking out details of other children whenever a parent wants to look at your records? If you have a parents' evening where parents want to come in and read their children's files, do you have to copy the tracker several times and blank out every other child's information? What happens if you need to provide information about a child's progress to another professional such as an Ed Psych?

Having an individual record for each child might seem time consuming at the beginning, but might save you effort in the long run. I always found it very useful having one tracker for each child because when a parent asks how their child is doing or is concerned that they might be 'behind' it is easy to get the tracker out and show them all the evidence you have to show they are achieving well. Being able to offer immediate reassurance was important to me.

Ultimately you have to decide what works for you and your parents. What do they expect in the way of availability of information?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)