Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Newbie Advice!

Hey all, how are we all doing today? :(

Well, I'm just starting out as a child minder. Fingers crossed I should get my certificate through the post today and get started. I've put up a couple of adverts so just waiting for the phone to start ringing! eeekkk! I'm a bit nervous! :rolleyes:

First question: I'm so confused on numbers. I'm allocated to have 5 children because I have 1 of my own who is 13months. So, this means I can have 2 more under 4 and then 3 over 4?? Is that right?? and I might be working with an assistant on some days too. She has a 9 month old, so is it right that she can have 5 children too? Do the numbers differ because she's an assistant?? :o

Second question: What do you all use for the childrens daily diary?? Do you make your own or do you buy a book each?? and where and how do you record your observations?? xD

Third question: When people phone up, what do you recommend doing?? Getting them to come round and discuss what's on offer or do you do most of the discussion over the phone?? :(

Sorry for all the questions, please feel free to answer all, part or none at all! hehe! :(

Any advice is very welcome! :wacko:

Thank you! xD

Hi and welcome,

Your numbers already take you're own children into account so you can childmind the number on you certificate plus your own on top.

I always prefer to get people to come and meet me, see my home and discuss terms face to face but I will answer questions over the phone if they want me to because there may be something which is essential to them that I can't provide.

Hope that helps a little.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Registered Childminder.

I think your numbers sound right. Basically three littlies during the day and three school-aged under eights before and after school (and sundry over-eights up to maximum of ten).

At our network meeting, just last night, we were discussing assistants. What have Ofsted told you about Assistants in your setting? The woman at the meeting who has an assistant has a proviso that she can leave some children with the assistant for short periods (school runs). She has had a good experience with it. I don't have the time at the moment but we were recommended to look at ofsted website and search for 'assistants in Childminder settings'.

Someone else will have to discuss daily diaries - I just talk to parents (slack but there you are).

When people ring up I find out what their needs are and if I can help them. I then ask them to visit to see what we all think. I don't discuss money, if I can get away with it, until second visit. I like to find out how they are funding their childcare before quoting (without asking too direct questions of course). I hate quoting a lower rate because I think one thing, only to find out that I'm going to have to spend ages in paperwork each month because it's a fully funded place.

Enjoy,

Honey

Thank you for getting back to me. xD

I'll have a look on the Ofsted website about assisstants. I've told Ofsted she's working with me but they didn't make it clear as to how many children she could have and I was at the end of a 3 hour inspection and wanted it over with so didn't ask, haha! :o

What do you have to do if children are funded? Do you have to apply somewhere to say you will take funded children? I never thought about that. :(

What do you have to do if children are funded? Do you have to apply somewhere to say you will take funded children? I never thought about that. :o

Parents can access funding from all sorts of places. I've only had experience with students, but was recently asked to cover for jobcentre appointments which would have been funded - the forms take some filling in regularly and I don't want to be giving parents 'mates rates' if someone else is going to pay and make me work harder for my money.

All learning.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)