Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Policies Do We Need? Help Please!

SLIMBRIDGE

Hi all,

We're in the middle of setting up a governor led pre-school. Had a parent come in today and ask to see our policies and procedures. So far we are using the school's policies and adding onto them if appropriate. Does anyone have a list of the policies they have in their pre-school so I can make sure we aren't missing anything.

Many thanks.

hi we are a committee run pre-school and we have a very long list of policies and procedures - we use the pre-school learning alliance policy and proceedure book which we have adapted to our setting - maybe you could purchase their bok and adapt too - although may be different for you where you are a governor led pre-school as not sure what this means

x

hi Laura...another yellow belly i see!...really good site isn't it!..i see the Birth to Five team are up for another award at the Nursery World awards tomorrow! :o

Birth to Five won the Local Authority Early Years Team of the Year at the Nursey World Awards on Friday. Congratulations to them! LA Team of the Year

post-19570-1317743406_thumb.png

Guest youngrisers

hi Slimbridge, we are parent committee run and used the preschool Learning Alliance policies and procedures. they have just reissued this so it has loads of model policies to cop from and have information to cover all topics.

Hi all,

We're in the middle of setting up a governor led pre-school. Had a parent come in today and ask to see our policies and procedures. So far we are using the school's policies and adding onto them if appropriate. Does anyone have a list of the policies they have in their pre-school so I can make sure we aren't missing anything.

Many thanks.

When writing policies it is important to make sure they are rellevent to your setting....its ok to use bits of others but do make sure they are meeting your needs and not just an "off the shelf pack" full of jargon and stuff which doesnt relate to you or your families. Some of your policies should be in your prospectus and we also have all our policies on our website so that parents can access them at work/home etc. We also have a local issue for which we have to have a policy (in case there is an escape!) so all the settings local to us have a policy in place which states what they will do if the alarm goes etc. This is fairly area specific but it maybe that you live near a river which floods or some other possible source of danger and might need a policy to tell parents/staff what would happen if X should happen.

When I am reviewing my plicies I often have a google and see what is around and whether there have been any changes in what is required...I then take in the draft policy for the staff to look at (and also check for errors or additions etc they think suitable)..then we draw it up formally, and then we hold them in a bright coloured folder which is always available for parents/staff/inspectors to view. These are reviewed annually or as and when a situation arises which demands a rewrite.

When I did one of my earlier FE courses we all had to bring in copies of our policies for our management unit to talk about what they included etc. Most of the pre-schools etc had small folders whereas the large nursery chains seemed to have huge binders full of policies which I doubt any staff member could know all of. I do work sometimes in a full day card nursery and each week staff have an updated policy to review....which is placed on the toilet door for staff to look at and read whilst in there...sort of captive audience! :o

Edited by enuffsenuf

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I think policies should be concise and to the point. If they ramble on for ages they are likely either not to be read or to be misunderstood. Have you look at this site? They do an easy to understand pack of 15 policies with a good free sample.

www.earlyyearsplanning.co.uk

I think the PLA policies are useful but they seem to be a bit wordy.

Hi - Policies are very much on my mind at the moment as we have an OFSTED looming and I began to complile a list of all the policies we needed.

Having searched the net for hours I decided to splash out a few quid and bought a policies, risk assessments and EYSEF pack from the company linked below. Fairly pricey but the best money I have spent as they have quite literally saved me hours of time and are superb quality.

Link

www.serendipityberkshireltd.co.uk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)