Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training

I've worked in childcare for 30 years - as a child minder and as a nursery manager. Have recently gone back to childminding. Have re registered with Ofsted. Despite the fact I have EYPS (and have been registered as a childminder in the past) I have to attend an 8 week mandatory childminding course. I could teach it! What a waste of time and money. Don't misunderstand me - don't mind training - have always made sure I do CPD. Interested in peoples comments.

I can understand your frustration but think of it as an opportunity to meet other childminders (as I'm sure you remember it can be a lonely role at times) and wow, won't the trainers be in for a surprise :o perhaps they'll be interested in signing you up as a mentor?

Nona

I've worked in childcare for 30 years - as a child minder and as a nursery manager. Have recently gone back to childminding. Have re registered with Ofsted. Despite the fact I have EYPS (and have been registered as a childminder in the past) I have to attend an 8 week mandatory childminding course. I could teach it! What a waste of time and money. Don't misunderstand me - don't mind training - have always made sure I do CPD. Interested in peoples comments.

See this is where I get baffled. As I mentioned in another thread, I met a lady on my ITC course last night who is already minding but was told by OFsted that a condition of her registration was that she did the course. Me and another lady were told, despite the fact we have level 3 qualifications, that we had to do the course before we were even allowed to register. And this is on the same area?! :o

It doesn't make sense, esp if you have already done it. Maybe a "refresher" course would be more appropraite for people in your postion...

• 11 months later...

I'm in a similar position to you denise, I've recently completed a ITC course after previously being registered and gaining several years experience in a variety of settings and gaining qualifications to fit the roles.

I felt the same way as you initially but I found that although I was supporting others on the course, thus forging new friendships with new potential childminders I also found it a good refresher. I'd most recently been employed by the youth service so in a different age bracket than the EYFS I anticipate working mostly with, therefore it acted as a good reminder and brought things back with updated information I will find useful.

I really enjoyed the course and miss the weekly meet ups with the other childminders, though we have tried to stay in touch since and still communicate with each other via phone to check with each others progress etc. We are hoping to meet up soon and build our own network for support and morale boosting which is needed when working on our own.

Hope you enjoy it the same as I did, good luck!

Galling! Things have changed pretty much this week with the revised EYFS which now says you have to finish the course before becoming registered, rather than complete it within six months of registration. Sounds like you've just missed the bus. Stick with it, frustrating though it is, Maybe you could Nanny for a bit until your registration came through?

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)