Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Organising Your Photos What Do You Use?

Hi this year rather than printing out the masses of photos we take, I would like to organise the photos into files for each child so that at the end of the year they can take home a disc of their year as a gift and save us printing costs (was inspired by someone on the forum who did this and wanted to try it this year) What I would like to do is to tag the photos with each child's name and/or the area of development and let the computer do the work rather than manually copy and pasting photos into files. Can anyone suggest an easy program through which I can do this?

Thanks

deb

I am no expert on this so Im sure others will have better ideas, but have you explored Picassa? Easy to use (even for me), you can easily create a folder for each child, as well as record notes and titles (an date!) on each picture. It also have face recognition although I'm not sure how good this is for children. I've used it to sort my photos on my computer and its not bad if the pics are clear enough.

yes you can Susan. You can either change 'border and text' settings after you choose print, and then add caption, changing colour font and size;

or you can put the text directly onto the photo by going to edit photo and choosing text (or abc I think) and change it to suit from there. You can choose 'copy caption' or write something else.

I might have to go and investigate this. I'm just looking at photographs of resources and am realising just how many photos of children I have. Being able to sort them all and transfer them to CDs to give to parents would be fab. Another job on the to do list!

well I downloaded picasa and then uploaded the photos taken so far (over a hundred and we are on day 4!) I have to say it is amazing! We had taken full face shots of each child for learning journeys etc and once I had assigned a name to each child, it managed to sort most of the photos into the correct child's folder by face recognition. It obviously struggled when a photo was of a child side on or from behind but it was easy to manually tag each child. I would totally recommend it. I am now also going to tag each photo with each of the 6 areas as well so that if I needed to I could pull up a photo of a particular child in a particular area of learning. Sorted!

Deb

Ok - so its probably me being a bit thick today but I have no idea how to work out picasa. I have downloaded oddles of photos, and have managed to tag a coupld of children, but how do I get them to sort using face recognition? There's obviously something that I'm missing - please help,

Em x

I'm having problems too! I've tagged the children in their photos for their learning journals but when I have return to manually tag other photos it has not recognised their name and added them as a new person. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Also not sure how to get it to automatically tag people.

Help!!

Otherwise - brilliant!

I found that once I uploaded new photos it automatically sorted by face recognition but only really for the children who are face on to the camera. Since the majority of our photos are of children at play and their heads are down or side on, I have ended up going through each photo and manually tagging them.

Deb

Another use of all the photos we take is to have them playing as slideshow on a laptop during parent/teacher meetings, giving the parents an idea of what goes on in the classroom. Obviously sort the photos first, otherwise it could take a long time!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)