Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Psed

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if you very knowledgeable lot could give me a little bit of advice...

I am a Nursery teacher and I had a parent approach me to say that her daughter (aged 3) is refusing to eat at home and she is saying that she is 'too fat'!! I am so shocked that a three year old can have this opinion of her self and that our society has done this to her!

I want to do some discrete PSED to address this issue with the class, does anybody have any ideas? I am an NQT and I have never been presented with this situation - or ever dreampt that I would be presented with this situation in Nursery!

Thank you in advance for your support and ideas on this matter. xx

How sad :o

I used to watch C4 Super size super skinny and they talked about the health risk of being over weight but also underweight. I had a quick look at their webpage and they list a whole bunch of organisations that might be able to offer more advice.....find it here

I think it might be worth getting some advice from a professional body as saying the wrong thing could make the situation worse.

In the meantime I would focus on healthy eating and exercise and explain that you can eat lots of healthy food fruit and veggies etc but that it is the fatty foods you can't eat lots of. If you have a snack time or cooking activity make fruit salad and talk about all the lovely fruits and how good they are for you.

Sorry I don't think that is a huge help xD

Best of luck

At our local Children's Centre we have visits on a 'drop in' basis from members of the Educational Psychology team. It may well be that yours does something similar, but either way maybe it would be worth putting in a call to them to ask for some general advice about how to handle these sort of issues. As Sue says, saying or doing the wrong thing in a situation like this might make matters worse.

Good luck - how sad to think a child as young as this is worried about her weight. :o

I am a Nursery teacher and I had a parent approach me to say that her daughter (aged 3) is refusing to eat at home and she is saying that she is 'too fat'!! I am so shocked that a three year old can have this opinion of her self and that our society has done this to her!

I would be really interested to know where she has got this idea from......is mum dieting......or dad? Is there someone at home - older siblings ....name calling? I would find it hard to believe that 'society' in general is to blame......

Gosh - I'm sorry that sounds 'moody' - not meant to be - honest!!! :o

Anyway - great advice already - good luck

I know what you mean sunnyday. I would also be surprised if the wider society was responsible for this little girl's anxieties, notwithstanding all the pressure today's young girls almost certainly feel to be beautiful and thin (and where all too often those two things are interdependent).

Thank you for the advice everyone. Mum says she doesn't know where she has heard it and there are no older siblings, I asked if she had seen anything on the TV but mum said not - so I am still non the wiser as to where she has got this idea from. I plan to do some carpet time about healthy eating and not eating too much fatty foods... I will try and get in touch with another agency to see if they have any advice.

Thank you everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)