Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bubbles Frustration

Read on a few 'kindergarten type' websites, that if you glycerine to w.up liquid, you can make a great 'strong' bubble mixture. I have tried several times and failed miserably! :o Do any of you know of a good recipe for bubbles?

Hi there, Tesco's do an enormous bottle of bubble liquid quite cheaply, I bought 6 small pots with blowers the other day and am going to buy the big one to top them up with

Don't know of any recipes, sorry

Lynda

I have just bought a bottle of "washing up" liquid from TTS which they reckon is really good for making bubbles. They recommend a 1 part of this stuff with 20 parts water. I have yet to use it-but will let you know when I do. We use a lot of bubble liquid as we have a few machines which make brilliant bubbles.

I have heard that glycerine is very good-it gives the washing up liquid elasticity.

Linda

Is this like the stuff you can buy in small tubes? Woolworths sometimes have it advertised on one of their TV's, you know the one where they advertise ironing board covers that make ironing easier! (What? It comes with a ironer!) My lads had some of it, it was really sticky, but once a bubble had been blown it could be handled and it wouldnt burst. Or am I talking twaddle? :o:D

No ! not twaddle perfectly clear :D:D .We have tried the plastic bubbles Rea, they were great for when we did under the sea because as the children blew them onto the display they stuck, hardened and stayed there for ages. Not sure if that is what glycerine does to washing up liquid though !!

I think what glycerine does is make the washing up liquid more elastic so it stretches further before it pops-so giving you bubbles that will form and float. I also think it means that you don't have to use as much washing up liquid. I've always forund in the past that we have to use loads, diluted with a small amount of water to give decent bubbles.

Linda

I found these on a site but have not tried them yet. Star

Recipe One

1 cup water

2 cups dishwashing liquid

Mix gently then let leave to settle for 2-4 hours before using.

Recipe Two

1 cup water

2 cups dishwashing liquid

½ to 1 cup Glycerine (you can buy this at a Chemist store)

Mix gently then let settle for 2-4 hours.

100mls (1/2 cup) Dishwashing Liquid (Morning Fresh or Dawn work well)

900mls (4½ cups) Water (The quality of water in your area may affect the outcome of your mixture; soft water works better than hard water. To be on the safe side, Distilled Water is recommended.)

50mls (1/4 cup) Glycerine

Those reciepes from american site/ if so dishwashing liquid is washing up liquid here not stuff used in dishwasher which is caustic and not to be used.

we find some bubble baths make musch better bubbles than washing liquid. And have a lovely scent too.

Inge

we buy our solution, large bottles not too expensive and the machimes save lots of puff for staff.

I too have problems with bubbles - I do think that leaving the mixture to settle would be a good bet though.

Other ideas for doing things with bubble mixture

Make a cube out of pipe cleaners, emerge into bubble mixture in bowl, take straw dip into bubble mixture first and then immerse into the cube and blow - watch the shape in the middle - if you are really clver and your bubble mix is good you can get lots of bubbles eithin bubbles - very adult orientated but children love to watch

Paper boat on water add drop of washing up liquid watch boat whizz across bowl as if by magic

Nikki

Have tried the glycerine again, but have to admit defeat.

Thanks everyone for all your fab ideas.

Off now to make pipecleaner cubes(think I need to get a life), but it beats trying to master Report Assist!

Quite right inge these recipes are from an American site, should have pointed out washing up liquid not dishwasher powder. Thanks for pointng it out.

Sorry !!

Star.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)