Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Parent Help

Dear all,

My setting currently writes 'progress summary reports' for each child when they are being planned for (every 8 - 10 weeks) - we highlight their age bracket (depending on information/observations we have) and say if they are emerging/developing/secure within each area.

A parent has asked why her child is 'developing' within in age bracket in some areas and only either emering/secure in others.

Does anyone have a simple answer.......that is parent friendly!

we used to have a bit of blurb on any report we gave out to try to explain what some of the jargon meant... most of the time we changed wording to be more parent friendly and simple to begin with, not much help there...but may be worth considering the wording you use to make it more parent friendly in future.

how about something along the lines of each child develops at a different speed, and in different areas.. we cannot all be good at everything all at once, but need to practice what we are doing to achieve a good understanding an d progress which is what you are trying to show in your progress reports. explain that emerging is perhaps showing an interest, developing is practising and trying things out, secure has explored the activity and has shown a good basic knowledge of it... or something similar..

Add something about only being with the child for a short while each week and therefore only able to comment on what you see in the setting, you are aware that they may be able to do much more and as they are with parents much more than you so expect them to be able to see more than you do.. It is only a report on what happens in the setting and parents are able to add if they wish about progress at home (assuming they can)

(PS it is often better to only post one question once, just choose the most suitable area.. it can get very confusing to have the same in many areas with one answer to it... and end up with several saying the same in different places.. now I have confused myself!)

Edited by Inge

Thanks guys,

Yes I did mean to post in one place - posted in wrong place then couldn't work out how to move!!!

Trying to write simple explantation to why a child may be EMERGING in a certain area but DEVELOPING in another. Trying to explain we make a judgement based on our observations is difficult :)

Will try and knock a letter up

what about something along the lines of 'emerging: just beginning to show signs of this developmental level'.............'developing: past the emerging stage, and moving well towards acheiving the stage'? does this make sense, it IS early in the morning and my brain isn't yet in full gear!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)