Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation (writing) Toolbelts For Us Teachers!

Hi all!

Just preparing and thinking of some new ideas for September. One of the things that bugged me last year was that I was constantly having to take/hold my camera and sticky labels and pen around with me all the time, which when playing on the carpet with the children I often tended to leave them on the floor next to me (not ideal when children stand on them!) or I'd leave them on the side and then would have to go and get the camera/sticky labels and the moment I wanted to catch would have been lost/missed. This was also the same with being outdoors.

So I thought how great would it be to have a pouch/apron with pockets type thing to have the camera, sticky labels, pen, etc with you all the time. I know this is not a new idea as I have heard it mentioned before, but where can I get one from????

I know there is a website for children's writing toolbelts and some of you have bought toolbelts from b and q to use for this too, but anyone have any great ideas for us adults which are cheap but effective???? I am not good with sewing,etc so can not make one myself.........

surely there is a market here for these things.....I wonder how many of you think this is a good idea or already use some type of pouch/toolbelt????

:o

we had tabards with pockets for those who wanted them, but were a preschool, have seen the local school have them for teachers in the reception though..

think what you are looking for is out there.. just needed to know what to look for..

try a search for market traders money belt.. and this site popped up.. lots of them!

If the B&Q option doesn't fit the bill I wonder if the hairdresser's supply shop might offer an alternative. They tend to be lighter, with lots of pockets for the various bits and bobs they need to have to hand. Might be worth a look.

I took to wearing an apron at school (had an important meeting after school one day and could guarantee getting covered in yuck otherwise!). It's just an ordinary cooking apron with a couple of pockets on the front but there's usually a pen and pad of post-its in there. It was so useful I now wear it nearly all the time.

Haven't figured out what to do with the camera though - it lives on my desk but the minute I take it off I'm besieged by children wanting to have a go!

I got a beautiful flowery Cath Kidston one from Ebay I love it, it's so much easier than carrying everything round although you find lots of weird stuff in it at the end of term!!

Trouble is I tend to gather lots of small random toys in the pockets!

Me too - and a selection of crumpled tissues accumulate (unused - I'm just always sticking an extra one in there just in case!) I frequently end up with a very odd shaped 'pregnancy bump' by the end of the day and have the rest of the staff in stitches as I empty it during a staff meeting - those poor Y6 staff have nowhere near as much fun as me! :o

My local pound shop has tool belts which we use at school - for ourselves and as writing bags for the children.

We also wear those stretchy key fobs with our behaviour cue cards on and a colleague of mine started of the idea of hole-punching some post-it notes and adding these to the fob - another great way of always having them handy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)