Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Booking Places

Hi Everyone,

It's the second week of my new post as nursery manager for a new nursery. Had a really productive day today, just want to clarify a discussion about 'parents booking places'. The nursery isn't open until at least November so its very refreshing ironing out all the detail now and formulating our policies etc.

I stated that due to admissions policy and equality policy that it would go against the grain of fairness to allow parents to book a place in advance (talking a few months in advance) am I right in stating this, that places are given on a first come first serve basis. The exception being if parent already has a child in setting (the sibling thing) and parents who live closest to the nursery are determing criteria if there was say only one place and two parents wanting it.

I am starting to feel a little confused so would really appreciate some clarity. Also does anyone ask for a booking fee (refundable or not) if so, what does the booking fee afford the parent, does it secure the place etc and how far in advance to the child starting would be reasonable to accept a registration fee? Could parents interpret the fee as security for the place thus throwing out the admissions policy about 'fairness' etc.

Any help, comments, advice would really be appreciated.

Claire

Our admission policy is a mix of things and it all depends on places available and our current finances. It says we look at catchment area, siblings, age and how long they've been on the waiting list (I cant remember the exact order)

We accept applications at any time and these children go onto a waiting list. They start when they are 2.5 and usually stay with us through to school. Most start on 2 sessions and increase if we have spaces available. I had a parent phone today asking to defer her child's place until he qualifies for funding, I kind of want to say I wont keep the place but who's to say the place will be filled by anyone else. Its a juggling game really, but I certainly wouldn't stop people booking you in advance, I've got one due to start next June and others in January, March and April.

Thanks Rea thats really helpful. Can I just ask what you would do if different parents wanted to book all your available places now, would you say no because of the advance booking you have or would you let them have the spaces and inform parents on your advance waiting list that the places are no longer available?

Sorry to be a pain

If I get someone asking for a place right now, I'll tell them what I've got available. I wont give them the places someone has pre-booked. We've had the same families use us for years, they've kind of come to expect they can put their child's name down at birth if that's what they want to do and be assured of the sessions they ask for. I did it with my youngest son.

I have got it in mind to review it though, maybe one day. I'm keeping empty places that could bring in money but it rarely happens that someone asks for places I cant give them. This Sept. we're going back to full morning sessions, albeit some wont start for a few months, we still have about 20/22 on the morning sessions out of a possible 26.

I'm a bit confused Claire. Are you thinking about the possibility of having children on your waiting list who are not old enough to come to you just yet, and having an enquiry from the family of a child who wants a space now and is old enough to attend? If so then I would think you would have to accept the child if only to keep sustainable. I never had the luxury of a waiting list, but our admissions policy made it clear that placing a child on the waiting list did not guarantee them a place when they became old enough to attend.

Not many groups are in the position of being able to hold a place open for children these days because an empty place is lost revenue, after all.

In terms of charging a registration fee, it depends on whether you are talking about children only accessing their 15 hour entitlement or not. Check with your Local Authority, but the code of practice says that you may not make any additional charges for parents only wanting to access their 'free' entitlement. So if you are registering a child under three, or a funded child who will be accessing more than 15 hours, it is appropriate to charge a fee. Mine covered things like providing book bags, and doing all the admin associated with taking on a new child. I only charged one fee per family though and it wasn't refundable.

I would say make sure your admissions policy is transparent, and that you follow it to the letter. That way you're less likely to get any conflict because parents will understand from the outset how your procedures work and what they can expect.

Good luck - you're lucky to be able to have this time to get all this sorted now!

The question you really must to ask yourself is...

If I have someone who want a place in May, can I afford to not have any payment for this until then... and if I had 5 children who wanted places in May/ June could I afford to keep the places and have no payment for them... it may be ok for one but who is to say you won't have a lot who start later in the year.

Could be Ok if no one comes to fill the place but in same scenario.. other parents wanted the places in October/November think of the potential income you will be turning down because you are keeping the places .. could you really be able to be financially viable with no income for the length of time... knowing that you could have filled them and had an income .. would this decision be the one keeping the wages low or minimum staffing and lack of resourcing because of it..

You really do have to make a policy which does not potentially end up losing you money and making the nursery unsustainable... It would be fine to keep the places if no one was wanting them but if you can get the income? by same token for one or two may be fine, but what if you had a large number of summer born children who wanted places later in the year? Once you have the policy to keep the places you have to use it even if there are a lot of empty spaces for much of the year..

We had a waiting list and parents were very aware that we filled the places as they became available.. we too were seldom completely full but we waited until 4 weeks before the child started to call parents and arrange a guaranteed place... if we had one. parents were aware of this and it meant we only had a max of 4 weeks without income for any place.

If we ever needed to we did have criteria set, such as siblings which always had priority , but the parents were always aware they may have to wait if we had no place even then..

As to registration fee... depends on local authority and when children start with you... We were not allowed to charge even if it was to cover things like Maz suggested for any child who took or was planning to only take the free entitlement.. but were if they started before this or took over the free hours...

how do you know.. if you cannot do it for all it became so complicated to do.. who do you charge, what happens if they change their mind and defer until the entitlement kicks in.or reduce the hours booked to under the entitlement when they originally wanted more.. . then you get parents asking why they have to pay when not all do... even a refundable one was not allowed.. so check with your LA .

This is why I love this place, so very grateful for all your really knowledgeable replies. I have a meeting with the registered owner today so will feedback all this to her.

Update - the interior of the nursery is taking shape and we should have our pre inspection in about 4-5 weeks. I have been involved in the internal outlay of the building from the start and have I feel been quite innovative in the baby suit, which takes up the whole of the upper floor. It consists of three rooms which are all interconnected with arches, so essentially 3 baby rooms which connect into each other via arches. A nappy changing station in each room (no nappy room) each station has a 5ft built in wall, so when a practitioner is changing a baby they are still in the room, other practitioners can see member of staff from about elbow height up, the baby is afforded privacy due to the wall. The rooms have been underpinned by the Reggio Approach, so 1st room is concentrated around comfort, softness, tranquility, the resources will reflect this etc through arch into second room which is more about discovery, light and shade, lots of mirrors, objects of interest, treasure baskets etc third room is very creative, messy play sand, water, etc etc. a cot room also with arch sits at the end of the suite, a door off of all rooms leads out onto a large secure flat roof which we will use for fresh air experience (babies will also access downstairs garden and be taken on visits within the community) we will be offering fresh air sleeping on the flat roof if parents want that. One large room sits just off of all three rooms also with arch which is completely for parents who can use it while settling babies, breast feeding mums things like that. The baby suite also has a kitchenetter for preparing feeds etc, however we have a large dining room where we are planning for the whole nursery to share for mealtimes.

It is all very exciting, very exhausting also. Long 10 hour days at this stage doing all the essential things, such as recruitment etc. Thats why its so comforting having this place so when it all starts to feel terrribly grown up and responsible I can get much needed advice. I had a meeting yesterday with the county and passed on details of the forum as I would like them to consider subscribing, that aside I have included the link to the forum in our staff handbook, as it has helped and suppported me for years. I may not have written much over the years, but trust me I have read so much and I feel am a better practitioner because of it.

Oh wow Cupcake, that sounds wonderful, if we ever get our day nursery I might be picking your brains. Not looking too good at the moment as the building company have now said they won't fund it :o and not sure we can raise that amount of money xD

Oh wow Cupcake, that sounds wonderful, if we ever get our day nursery I might be picking your brains. Not looking too good at the moment as the building company have now said they won't fund it :o and not sure we can raise that amount of money xD

Don't ever give up Laura! When I started out managing a pre school that was in rented space we felt we would never realise the dream of being in a purpose built setting. I had a brilliant Chair, who made it her mission to move the pre school in to its own building. It was a long haul but eventually we did manage it, so it is possible.

Really hope so cupcake, we are waiting to here from them about a price for land and a price for a building. I'm hoping to go higher up and really sell it to them that uit is needed for the community. I have sooo many ideas for a baby room and I love the sound of yours!

We haven't given up yet, but it is such a shame there are no capital grants available now :o

Really hope so cupcake, we are waiting to here from them about a price for land and a price for a building. I'm hoping to go higher up and really sell it to them that uit is needed for the community. I have sooo many ideas for a baby room and I love the sound of yours!

We haven't given up yet, but it is such a shame there are no capital grants available now :o

Sounds really promising Laura, keeping everything crossed for you. Agree about the funding, unfortunately its a sign of the current times we are in!