Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Does Terminology Matter?

HappyMaz

I heard about this sometime ago, but today via Twitter I got this link to the Literacy Trust website where they are talking about the fact that the Government has 'banned' the use of the phrase Every Child Matters. It is also going back to referring to child protection rather than safeguarding.

When thinking about the language we use, I do have some pet hates, like referring to 'hard to reach families' which to my mind makes it seem as if it is their fault and not ours that they don't access the services we offer. However, I'm not sure it matters what language we use in this instance, so long as the commitments remain the same.

What do you think?

I am not personally aware that there is an outright 'ban' but my understanding is that the government is planning to phase out ECM. It can't be done overnight through, as it has become part and parcel of so many things e.g. the Early Years and Chidlren's Centre SEF forms for example.

I know what you mean about pet hates and agree that 'hard to reach' is a ridiculour phrase. My pet hate is governments who have to change everything just because it was something that the last government introduced - and ECM is a prime example of this!! It will mean so much work changing so many documents etc. etc, and it seems to be change for changes sake. It works and makes sense after all.

I used the word 'ban' because that's the terminology used on the Literacy Trust website. Although I'm not sure how such a ban could be enforced. Will we be greeted by an apparition of Sarah Teather wagging an admonishing finger at us if we inadvertently use the wrong words? :o

I used the word 'ban' because that's the terminology used on the Literacy Trust website. Although I'm not sure how such a ban could be enforced. Will we be greeted by an apparition of Sarah Teather wagging an admonishing finger at us if we inadvertently use the wrong words? :o

Utterly ridiculous! Every Child DOES matter, and I won't be told otherwise!! If only they spent more time and money on the things that DO matter, and less on re-writing terminology, then perhaps ECM wouldn't have to have been put together in the first place. More social workers, more Health Visitors, more training, less cutbacks in Early Years departments, etc etc.

I have visions of a whole arms of 'terminology police' wagging their fingers!!

Sorry if it sounded like I was being critical, I didn't mean to. Put it down to a bad day today. Someone not turning up for a meeting which had taken me quite some time to prepare and when I had a million other things to do; another senior member of staff making a right pigs ear of another arrangement; chasing LA officials for information which I asked for 4 times last week; another manager asking for ridiculous information which means I shall have to drop everything tomorrow morning to get the facts and figures together (pedantic or what) etc. etc. but I can't refuse to do it.

One of those days when I wonder why I am doing this job and want to bash a few heads together!

Sorry, rant over! Perhaps I need to go and loose myself in the latest book I am reading!

It's quite old news really that the government made a list of New Labour "phrases" that they no longer wanted to use...http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/news/2357_...y_child_matters

LANGUAGE OF THE NEW GOVERNMENT: SOME OF THE CHANGES AS THEY APPEAR IN THE MEMO

Pre-11 May 2010 England will be the best place in the world for children to grow up

Post-11 May 2010 Make Britain the most family-friendly place in Europe

Pre-11 May 2010 Targeted services

Post-11 May 2010 Fairer services

Pre-11 May 2010 Targets and outcomes

Post-11 May 2010 Results and impact

Pre-11 May 2010 Children's trusts

Post-11 May 2010 Local areas, better, fairer services

Pre-11 May 2010 One children's workforce framework/tool

Post-11 May 2010 Local areas self-assessment tool

Pre-11 May 2010 Five outcomes/ECM

Post-11 May 2010 Help children achieve more

Pre-11 May 2010 Narrow the gap

Post-11 May 2010 Close the gap, vulnerable and disadvantaged

Pre-11 May 2010 Integrated working

Post-11 May 2010 People working better to provide better services

Pre-11 May 2010 Safeguarding

Post-11 May 2010 Child protection

Pre-11 May 2010 FIP

Post-11 May 2010 Key workers providing intensive support to families

It's the label not the message that is changing ...personally I prefer the Help children achieve more to ECM

Edited by Marion

Think it all depends on if the new or changed terminology does describe the message better... in some cases it can do.. like Marion I do prefer the help children achieve more than ECM which has become an acronym which is not always spoken in full , and seldom written in full form... so to me loses some of the meaning -

as to safeguarding.. never could see the need to change the wording in the first place.. and was so fed up with having to check all paperwork just to change a word , nothing in it changed... and so glad I am not having to revert all the paperwork back again... think I would now put one with the other in brackets after - always felt that was a waste of time , money and effort.. change for change sake that one..

I think it matters - as part of my degree I studied the Power of language and the lecturer was truly inspirational and made me think about every word I see - everywhere - it is so powerful and a lot of thought and careful choice is given to words and phrases used by the government or advertisers and such like - its all a power game....so yes it does matter - what we do about it I dont know - keep questioning and keep dialogue going around terminology...

I agree with you Shirel that language is an important, powerful tool. So in the case of Every Child Matters vs Help Children Achieve More, which do you think most accurately sums up our aspirations for our children? They both seem equally bland to me, although ECM had five distinct outcomes that you could link into to show how your services met the framework.

I wonder if there will be a framework of some kind behind the new terminology and if there is, whether the concerns behind the change from ECM will just be transferred to Help Children Achieve More?

And how long it will be before we're all talking about HCAM?

umm a tricky one but personally i think @Help Children achieve more' is more wishy washy than ' Every Child Matters' :o

That's why I wondered if there would be some kind of 'framework' to back up the sentiment. We shall have to wait and see, I guess.

That's why I wondered if there would be some kind of 'framework' to back up the sentiment. We shall have to wait and see, I guess.

It's the same framework according to the announcement they made explaining the reason for the ban

The government has denied that changes to terminology outlined in the document indicate a change of policy direction. "There is no lack of focus on Every Child Matters," a DfE spokesman said. "The coalition created the new DfE to carry through radical reforms in schools, early years and child protection. ....but that was 12 months ago

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)