Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For 'me - And My Senses'

Is anyone willing to share their planning for the topic of 'Me - and my senses'? I am specifically looking for objective led opportunities for reading, writing and psrn. :o

Thank you!

Edited by Guest

could you do a taste thing where they make a tally chart of who likes what? flavours of crisps or whatever, that would cover making marks and counting, also recognising crisp flavours from the colour of the packet or the writing.

Guest terrydoo73

Might not be a good idea but have you tried the hand and footprints idea. Children just love the exploring touch sense aspect and moving fingers along the page once finished. We have some really good photos of children doing their handprints and will probably do the footprints in September when they return.

Ours liked the jelly and ice activity for touch, the children had to hold a handful of jelly and in the other hand some ice! Seem to remember making smelly bags - we cut up circles of j cloth and the children could choose from herbs or lavender that sort of thing and put some into the centre and then bring up the sides and secure with elastic bands, they could then play the identify the smell game! Mark making opportunities for us, we are pre-school, came from listening to different types of music or sounds and the children then making marks on paper representing those sounds.

• Like 1

Mark making opportunities for us, we are pre-school, came from listening to different types of music or sounds and the children then making marks on paper representing those sounds.

Yes, that's a good idea - I've heard of that before, but how do you explain this concept to the children?

Well, we modelled it really, we put on very distinctive types of music, so very metallic sounds, or very wavy sort of sounds, stompy sounds, which we had previously used to act out dinosaurs etc. think we played the bumble bee music, sorry can't recall the name of it!We have a big white board and adults made marks on there. We also let the children lay down quietly (well as quietly as we could get them to listen), they could also move again to the pieces of music. Then they had a go at mark making. You might be able to record some sound effects/music from the BBC children's radio archives, they have things like thunderstorms recorded etc. I believe you can also order CDs with sounds on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)