Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gcse

Can anyone help me out, I have just completed my degree and I would like to start my teacher training. The problem I have is that I dont have good enough grades in Maths English and Science for GCSE, so will have to retake them. I have contacted a local college but they only offer classes which don't fit in with my currant job.

Has anyone else had the same problems and if so how have you gone about taking the GCSE.

Can you just resit an exam without going to College??

Thanks in advance

Kelly

I went to night class at my local college. One night a week. You can also do equivelancy tests as well, but I knew I would never have passed without some major input first!!!

Hi Cait, when you say 'self teach' do you mean just sit the exam??

Hi Wendles, night school is no good for me as I work in a boarding school and work evenings and nights :o

No I mean get the books and study by yourself, then book yourself in for an exam. There's an online place where my daughter did GCSE biology when she was away and then took the exam at the local secondary when they sat theirs

I have looked at the OU but the teacher training in Suffolk only allow you to have the actual GCSE no alternatives which is a bit of a pian.

Kelly

Have you tried equivalency testing?

Equivalency testing is not always an option if institutions require learners to have a real GCSE. hali and I did our equivalency test with our university for EYPS which saved us both a lot of work. :o

Equivalency testing is not always an option if institutions require learners to have a real GCSE. hali and I did our equivalency test with our university for EYPS which saved us both a lot of work. :o

With Equivalency testing you sit the higher GCSE exam which I had to do as Oxford Brookes insist you complete the full GCSE syllabus, so I'm not sure what you mean by not a real exam. I know they are recommend by several uni's because it is one of the few distance courses which offer a full GCSE as opposed to the iGCSE which you do with companies like learn direct, who do not cover the full syllabus. There is a list of uni's who use them for GCSE's for EYPS on their website.

Edited by Guest

I agree with you however equivalency testing is a company, its not an equivalency test you do during your course.

Oh I see, I guess the lack of capital letters meant I didn't think you were talking about a company. Hopefully kelly1's uni is listed and this will be just what she's looking for!

sorry seemed to be editing message whilst you were responding Happy Maz

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I had to retake my maths before getting onto the GTP. I contacted my local college and arranged to meet with the tutor for 30 mins every other week, she would set me homework each week and then we would review it.

The one to one time really worked for me, worth asking the question. Good Luck XX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)